I too am building a Roubo

FtrPilot

Today, Bob and I picked the board for the gap stop.  The board is cherry, which came out a friend's backyard.  The tree was cut down about 6 years ago, and 3 years ago, when the friend was transferred to Ft. Worth, he gave the wood to Bob (about 300bf).  I rough cut the board in 2, and I will mill & final cut after bench assembly.

My friend in East Georgia is rough cutting and rough milling the white oak planks for the shelf.  I will pick these up later this week.

There will be no more updates until next week, as I am heading to Augusta for a golf tournament.

post-17084-0-69928000-1428430051.jpg

However, I may get some pictures of the white oak planks and my friend's shop, and if I do, I will do an update.

post-17084-0-69928000-1428430051_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Hey Spanky,

Nice looking base. Have you made any progress on the top since your divert to Amen Corner or are you still too stuffed with pimento cheese sandwiches?

What hardware are you going to use?

Stump

Stump,

Progress report is on the way...I am using Benchcrafted "C" package.

BTW if Augusta is on your bucket list, I can make that happen...

Progress has been slow, but steady...  The boards for the top have been rough cut and rough planed.  No pictures yet, as I am still deciding what board goes where.  However, since the boards for the top are cut, I have taken the left overs and have cut, milled, and glued up the chop.  The plan (cut plan) has always been to laminate the chop, same as the top, versus making it out of a single board. 

Last night, I glued up the chop...

This morning, I flattened one side of the chop with a Stanley #4 hand plane.  This the first "flattening" I have done...very happy with the results.

Then I put it through my Steel City bench top planer, with great results.

This afternoon, I routed the crisscross mortise and drilled the hole for the screw...pun intended.

Picture of the chop front:

post-17084-0-47093800-1431219102.jpg

Picture of the chop mortise:

post-17084-0-15007200-1431219115.jpg

Tomorrow, I will complete the dry fit of the crisscross...will update and post pictures.

post-17084-0-47093800-1431219102_thumb.j

post-17084-0-15007200-1431219115_thumb.j

Looking good Spanky.

I've been working on my Roubo since Feb and it is nowhere near as nice as yours....other than my chop which is a single piece of Sapele thanks to Shanon. The rest is just construction grade SYP from the Borg.

I think I will call mine; The Redneck Roubeaux

Looking good Spanky.

I've been working on my Roubo since Feb and it is nowhere near as nice as yours....other than my chop which is a single piece of Sapele thanks to Shanon. The rest is just construction grade SYP from the Borg.

I think I will call mine; The Redneck Roubeaux

Stump,

I had to do some internet research on Sepele, as I never heard of it before....looks like Sapele will make an awesome chop.

I think you should do a project journal and title it "The Redneck Roubeaux".  I would love to see some pictures.

Where are all the other roubo builds that were going on? I thought we had four going to keep us neanderthals satiated.

Josh finished his...Congrats to Josh.

But hey!  There are at least 4 more builds going on.  Updates please!

This morning, I started gluing up the bench top.  All of this work is being done in my garage (shop). 

post-17084-0-13652300-1431442859.jpg

I have put a very flat box beam on top of my bench base and using it for glue up and other bench making activities. 

I will update and add photos as the bench top progresses.

post-17084-0-13652300-1431442859_thumb.j

The Benchcrafted construction notes recommend:

" Build the base first"

"If you have a shop without a lot of extra room, you should build the base first. The
top is much larger and heavier, and if you build it first chances are you’ll have to move it
around the shop while you build the base. Ideally, you’ll want to glue up the tops as the
last step before installing the Benchcrafted Tail Vise so you can marry the top to the
completed base when its done."

Seemed logical to me since I am severely space limited.

I also have access to a workbench in my buddy's basement.

You made the base first and I made the top first, kinda interesting.  Although I kinda needed the top to make the the legs, or at least thats what I told myself.

Interesting process but, I suppose you gotta do what works for you.

This afternoon, I un-clamped the front slab. Overall, just an OK glue up.

Then spent a couple of hours with a Stanley #7 flattening one side.  Very happy with the flattening effort.

post-17084-0-60557000-1431556223.jpg

Tomorrow, the slab goes through the thickness planer.

Then starts the most challenging part for me:

Tail vise

Condor Tails

End Cap

Dog Holes.

post-17084-0-60557000-1431556223_thumb.j

• Like 1

Come on guys, hand planes are that bad.  Just remember to keep them sharp, I'm teaching myself this the hard way. 

Looking good FTR, if my mediocre glue joints looked like those I would be a happy guy. 

I have to agree with xxdabroxx...hand planes gotta be sharp.  Also, I am learning a lot about woodworking...power tools and hand tools by building the workbench.

Throwing a 7 lb #7 plane for an hour is pretty hard work.

There is a lot of satisfaction when done.