Jointer Knives

JoshC1501

I am trying to order some new knives for my jointer, usually just order them from Grizzly, but they are backordered until May. So I am looking for other replacement blades.  

Here are the knives Grizzly sells.

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/products/6-x-5-8-x-1-8-HSS-Jointer-Knives-Set-of-3/H9876

I found these replacement, exact same dimensions, doesn't say they work for Grizzly but does say "Most Imports". 

http://www.infinitytools.com/HSS-Planer-_-Jointer-Knife-6-x-5_8-x-1_8-3-pcs/productinfo/HSSK-010/

As I was searching I found these as well, curious if anyone has any experienced with Carbide Tipped Jointer Knives.  They claim to last 10X long than HSS knives.

http://www.infinitytools.com/Carbide-Planer_-Jointer-Knife-6-x-5_8-x-1_8-3-pcs/productinfo/CPJK-010/

So there are two questions here:

1) Will these replacements will work?

2) Anyone have experience with the Carbide tipped knives?

Its kind of strange but, I wouldn't use a high speed router bit ever again. Yes a high speed steel or tool steel blade might have a somewhat better edge, but carbide is still sharp and will stay sharp many times longer. Now if you hit a nail with carbide, you might just have to say goodbye to the tool, as it will most likely be damaged beyond repair. I would use carbide when ever possible, remember, all your inserts are carbide not steel 

Its kind of strange but, I wouldn't use a high speed router bit ever again. Yes a high speed steel or tool steel blade might have a somewhat better edge, but carbide is still sharp and will stay sharp many times longer. Now if you hit a nail with carbide, you might just have to say goodbye to the tool, as it will most likely be damaged beyond repair. I would use carbide when ever possible, remember, all your inserts are carbide not steel 

Router bits and jointer knives are a apples to oranges comparison.

ok, you're right, I'm wrong. Happy now?

Its not a matter of right or wrong it a matter of accurate information. I think we all know router bits in no way compare to single knife finish heads. When we talk about carbide straight knives like those used in jointer planers and moulders there is a distinct difference between carbide and carbide tipped. Carbide tipped knives can't be sharpened to that of a HSS steel knife. Finish quality is generally the primary concern with jointers in a small shop. Carbide tipped knives don't get nearly the extended life of solid carbide knives. To benefit from carbide and keep a high finish quality you need to step up to solid carbide. Solid carbide knives cost as much or more for one knife as a full set of carbide tipped knives. For example a single solid carbide knife for my jointer cost $200. Carbide tipped knives tend to fuzz on softer wood like maple and alder. Solid carbide does not they tend to leave relatively close to the same finish as HSS. That said hobby shop tend to work with large variety of woods. Production shops deal with less variety but also tend to not have or even use jointers. If a guy tends to deal with mostly wood similar to teak the solid carbides are defiantly the way to go. If your dealing with woods that range from alder to teak then HSS may be a better option, thats for you to decide. Carbide tipped are great for guys just looking to straighten edges of rough lumber, not using the edge for glue joint. They last a good long time and your really not worried about finish quality.

Carbide tipped knives tend to fuzz on softer wood like maple and alder. Solid carbide does not they tend to leave relatively close to the same finish as HSS. ... Carbide tipped are great for guys just looking to straighten edges of rough lumber, not using the edge for glue joint.

Where do helical heads with cabide inserts fit into this?  The longevity is obvious and the advantages on figured wood is often-discussed, but how does it compare for your examples of softer wood or wanting to use the edges for glue joints?

Where do helical heads with cabide inserts fit into this?  The longevity is obvious and the advantages on figured wood is often-discussed, but how does it compare for your examples of softer wood or wanting to use the edges for glue joints?

They don't helical (shelix) are a completely different animal but they are solid carbide. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue Josh. I nicked my blades the other day (serious cursing ensued). I've tried to sharpen the nicks out but can't get enough material off by hand. I've been trying to find somewhere local to me to have them sharpened but they are all 2+ weeks behind! Grizzly backordered... 

Have you found them anywhere else?