Bandsaw purchase help

shaneymack

So i have narrowed down the new bandsaw purchase to either the minimax mm16 or the laguna lt16hd. Laguna is offering the lt16hd with the mobility kit and the driftmaster fence for free. The minimax comes with a mobility kit also. The only issue i am having is that the laguna is 4500$ vs the 3600$ mm16. 900$ more for the laguna? Why? I know the guides on the laguna are top notch but i dont think you can go wrong with the carters offered on the mm16 either. The laguna rep says the mm16 must have asian parts on it for that price and that its a very competitive market so they couldnt be that much cheaper without skimping somewhere. Im not so sure.

Does Anyone with experience with these saws have any idea why such a huge difference in price. My guess is that Laguna is imported to the u.s and then shipped to canada vs minimax which is directly imported Toronto. So we end up paying more for laguna due to cdn dollar being so low vs u.s right now.

Although a driftmaster fence for free is enticing, i am leaning towards minimax due to such a huge price difference. I could get the mm16 and pay for the driftmaster full price and its still 500$ cheaper.

What do you all think?

Yeah...I'd say as long as you actually receive a new saw, you'll be more than happy and more than equipped for any hobby-shop task with either of them.  Honestly I'm a little surprised your decision is a tough one after the Laguna disaster...good on ya for being rational about it.  I hear good things about both saws.  Flip a coin.

Yeah...I'd say as long as you actually receive a new saw, you'll be more than happy and more than equipped for any hobby-shop task with either of them. Honestly I'm a little surprised your decision is a tough one after the Laguna disaster...good on ya for being rational about it. I hear good things about both saws. Flip a coin.

You are right Eric it probably shouldn't be a tough decision especially considering the price difference between the two. I considered the Laguna because that is what elite tools sells. Just wanted to support them i guess...

I think it will be the minimax. Going to the dealer tomorrow. They only have the mm20 in stock. Hope i dont get "persuaded" to buy the 20".....lol. Wife just said to just get the 20 . I will see if its worth it.

I’m not sure of Canadian pricing – I pulled US pricing and the difference between the saws is $200USD… The addition of the mobility kit and drift master bring the L16 up to the price you quote – so not sure how ‘free’ those ‘free’ accessories really are… :)

To access the saws, you’d need to get feedback from actual owners of the two models in question or the Euro-sourced saws that L and MM are using… If you could kick the tires of both, that would be ideal…

Any local dealers have display models that you could try – you know those saws that get abused during demos for six months or so, and then shipped to unsuspecting customers as new? That would help… :)

I’m not sure of Canadian pricing – I pulled US pricing and the difference between the saws is $200USD… The addition of the mobility kit and drift master bring the L16 up to the price you quote – so not sure how ‘free’ those ‘free’ accessories really are… :)

To access the saws, you’d need to get feedback from actual owners of the two models in question or the Euro-sourced saws that L and MM are using… If you could kick the tires of both, that would be ideal…

Any local dealers have display models that you could try – you know those saws that get abused during demos for six months or so, and then shipped to unsuspecting customers as new? That would help… :)

Here is the link to the lt16 at elite.... http://www.elitetools.ca/en/product/laguna-italian-lt16-hd-bandsaw/

Crazy pricing compared to the u.s price. Isnt it 3499$ down there??

The mm16 is the same price here in cdn dollars as it is in the u.s in usd. Very weird. Like i said the only reason i could see such a big difference is that minimax is imported to canada directly whereas we get laguna via the u.s.

I will go "kick the tires" on the mm20 tomorrow. If i like what i see i will probably seal the deal.

Does the LT16 even sell in the US other than direct from Laguna (with astronomical shipping charges)? I looked at Woodcraft.com, Acmetools, etc., and I only see the 14/12, 14SUV, and LT18. Just curious.

I have no clue. I live in an igloo in canada eh. I am just quoting the price i saw on laguna tools website

ya probably will. Just not sure i will ever "need" all that saw. Guess its better to have just incase....

Look at it as a life long tool, just like some of the other stuff you bought. May be more than you need now but maybe not in the future. I would love a bigger bandsaw, but my 14" plus riser is the max for the height I have. Hopefully after this is in the shop, we will see a very good review and positive experience.

Look at it as a life long tool, just like some of the other stuff you bought. May be more than you need now but maybe not in the future. I would love a bigger bandsaw, but my 14" plus riser is the max for the height I have. Hopefully after this is in the shop, we will see a very good review and positive experience.

Ya, i am sure more positive than the last one! Out of all the tools i bought that was the only problematic unit so i guess thats not bad. I extremely happy with everything else i bought. No complaints.

Yeah...I'd say as long as you actually receive a new saw, you'll be more than happy and more than equipped for any hobby-shop task with either of them.  Honestly I'm a little surprised your decision is a tough one after the Laguna disaster...good on ya for being rational about it.  I hear good things about both saws.  Flip a coin.

is sending out used saws a habit of theirs?

is sending out used saws a habit of theirs?

Thats definitely not what im saying. Not sure anyone said that. Something happened with my saw before they shipped it to me. Whether or not its "a habit of theirs" is hard to say. I dont personally know anyone else that had this experience with them.