Spalted Holly

Enclosed spaces

Just returned home from our trip to Keats Island where we have a cabin on the beach. I often cut wood either from the forest or find it on the beach. 4 years ago I cut down and stored a nice piece of Holly and then forgot about it. The picture shows the lovely result.

Doing some research on Spalted wood I found this useful site. Think I am going to try this so I don't have to wait so long for the spalting process.

www.northernspalting.com.

post-16187-0-83977000-1426811769_thumb.j

post-16187-0-44461300-1426811788_thumb.j

Google it, large trees have different bark on the trunk. Smooth bark on upper trunk and branches. So much attention to tiny details in botany. Over 30 years since college botany classes and stuff like this still clicks in my brain, what I had for lunch yesterday ? not a clue !

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Need some help/advice/info PLEASE!

Felled a giant Holly tree about 2 weeks ago, got it on my sawmill last week…. The result was some of the most beautiful spalted slabs I’ve ever seen, however… it has the worst odor I’ve ever experienced from slabbing out a tree!  It has been air drying for a week now and the smell is just as pungent as it was on day one!  There is termite infestation/rot about 3ft up the trunk, but even the slabs that are separated from the rot have the odor. I’m not even sure that-that is the cause of the odor. Have any of you ever experienced this problem? What can be done to fix it?  Thanks in advance for your time and help!

As noted elsewhere, holly sap contains compounds that are very attractive to various fungi. This is most likely why your freshly-milled slabs have spalting, and fungus seems a likely source of the ordor as well. Spraying the surface with a fungicide might help, and draining out the free water ASAP can't hurt. Any chance you can stand the slabs on end for a few days, so gravity can help drain the water? Be sure to suspend them or raise them on space blocks to prevent the end from sitting in a puddle of drained water.