Shop Light Layout

N00b-in-training

161b2bq.gif

Put the 4 fixtures end-to-end down the middle of the space - with tube lamps the light comes out the sides, not the ends - what this will do is put the majority of the light over the most used work surfaces of the tablesaw and work benches, plus with 4-tube fixtures and a 14' mounting height you'll still get plenty of light bouncing off the walls and ceiling to minimize shadows.

Any specific reasoning why you went with 4-tube fixtures? If I was doing it, I'd go with 4' 2-tube, 8 fixtures, end-to-end in two continuous rows mounted 4' out from the long walls.

Either way, I think with such a small space, you're going to have enough light, maybe even too much to the point where it's uncomfortable to work in, but you can always take out a tube or two in each fixture to get the light level where you want it.

Tony

--

I'm a little lukewarm about the T5 bulbs.  They're super bright, which is awesome...but they kind of make me feel like I'm made of plastic when I'm under them.  A very artificial feeling light (I do have "low" ceilings - 10 feet - if that makes a difference).  I prefer the color of the T8s but they're not as bright.

My shop lighting is a mess...no rhyme or reason for their placement, a mix of T8 and T5...a lot of lights but still not enough.  They get dirty and I don't clean them.

Lighting is a science and I never dug into it.  All I know is I still need more...even though my neighbor says it's like looking at the sun when I have my garage door open at night.

==>^^^

Suppose it depends on how long ago you installed the lighting… I had T-12 for years, and then changed-over to T-8s maybe six/seven years ago. I’m not sure I’ve saved a dime, but I do think it’s an improvement… Better ballasts and the quality of the daylight tubes seem better… Don’t really know if that’s true, but it's what I tell myself… :)    My next shop will be T5s…

Anyway, I changed-over to T8s because I hated the T12’s mechanical ballasts and (crazy as it sounds) it was about the same cost to replace the entire fixture as re-ballasting the existing T12 setup… Of course, I needed a complete re-tube and that was not exactly cheap (three cases of 4’ T32 Daylight tubes – about 100 tubes)… But I really do think the quality of light is better… :)

Plus they don't sound like ten zillion cicadas and they come on when it's cold.  T12s are stone age.

Yep, I need to replace all of mine for this very reason. When it's cold, my garage looks and sounds like the set of horror movie with all the flickering and buzzing lights. I half expect some crazed dude in a bloody lab coat to step out of the corner wielding a rusty scalpel.

I always thought it was the ballasts that made the noise.  Honestly the noise wouldn't bother me much since there's always music on...IF they put out enough light...but for me they just don't.  I feel poorly lit with almost a dozen T8 and T5 ballasts.