MK's new shop - anything here strike you as stupid? ;-)

-MattK-

We bought a new house last summer and after 9 years of woodworking in the basement (house 1), in the garage (house 2), I'm finally going to have a stand-alone shop.  For my town & zoning, I can have 800 sq ft in an accessory structure, so we're going 22'x36' with 10' ceilings.

I've spent a lot of time reading forums, books, as well as dreaming in sketch-up, and I've attached the current layout thinking.

Big-ish tools (if it's helpful):

• Clearview cyclone
  • 3HP SawStop PCS w/ 52" rails
  • Hammer A3-31 16" jointer/planer
  • Grizzly G0555 14" Bandsaw
  • Festool Kapex
  • Drill Press
  • Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Would love any feedback on "whoa!  you're doing it all wrong!" if there's anything glaring.

Latest things I'm thinking about:

• Putting power in the floor - how smart / risky?  Worried that tool-layout will change and they'll be useful... but don't want 220V cords running across from the wall as well!
  • Any thoughts on finishing room?  I was thinking about that corner where the Festool MFT is.. making some room that I can set-up / take down - maybe heavy duty plastic sheeting that can connect to the joists, but that I can take down when I'm not finishing so I don't lose ~20% of my floorspace.
  • Any thoughts on getting internet out there?  Given the layout of our lot, it's going to be hard to run cables in a trench out there, but I could see a cable strung across the buildings (a catenary?).  Anyone wrestled with this?

Thanks all - happy to post progress pictures once all this snow's gone and we can start building!  (another 6" last night?  Sheesh!)

post-4318-0-33202700-1426951199_thumb.pn

yeah man, it's been a long time coming!  Waiting on the architect right now, I'm really impatient!

As far as the J/P... I was in the market for a wide jointer.  For years I had a 6" Jet that just constrained me too much and I ended up cutting some nice boards down, so I went looking for wide jointers and many of the wide ones seemed to be combo machines.  I figured I'd get a really wide one with a helical head that I can use for both jointing and planing.  Leaves me the ability to use the J/P as a dedicated jointer and get a separate planer if I ever get frustrated with the change-over.

I've enjoyed watching you get all your tools together - glad you got that bandsaw things sorted out - what a headache!

Will definitely share build updates.

Best,

Matt