Basic Project - My thoughts and your thoughts...

Illini40

Often times new (and sometimes more experienced) woodworkers will go to the big box store because they only need 1 or 2 pieces of lumber to either finish a project or make a quick project. We carefully select what looks fairly straight and flat in the store. Then once back to the shop with our proudly selected stock we commence ripping and cutting. Ignoring what all of us were taught to do first. Let the wood  "Acclimate" to the temperature in the shop. Sometimes the best chosen stock will suddenly turn into a nightmare when we start to work with it because of our own lack of patience. I'll admit it, I can be just as guilty as the next guy. And when it happens I cuss and swear until my lovely (and ever so patient) wife comes down to the shop smiling while she asks me "How long did you let the wood acclimate". 

Also, if you are willing to put in a little time researching good used hand planes. You can find some good deals on ebay as long as you are willing to take the time to clean them up and properly hone them. I use the scary sharp method to sharpen most of the time. All that is needed is a good flat surface 3" wide and about 8" or 9" long, a few pieces of wet/dry A/O (grits from 200 to 2000) a $10.00 guide and a small can of spray adhesive and you're set to sharpen multiple plane irons. 

A good used #5 jack plane makes for a fine joiner on shorter stock.

• Like 1

Some of my first projects used 1x pine as well. I remember feeling bad about how things were looking during construction. After everything was all assembled and I had a chance to sand out all the uneven joints, I felt a lot better about the project. You might be seeing some issues that can be minimized or completely eliminated when you start fine tuning everything. Get a sanding block and some 80 grit sandpaper to smooth out those joints.

Some of my first projects used 1x pine as well. I remember feeling bad about how things were looking during construction. After everything was all assembled and I had a chance to sand out all the uneven joints, I felt a lot better about the project. You might be seeing some issues that can be minimized or completely eliminated when you start fine tuning everything. Get a sanding block and some 80 grit sandpaper to smooth out those joints.

I'm pretty sure I started about the same way.

The solution to most of your problems, really comes down to practice.

When I started woodworking, I was amazed at how difficult it was to cut plywood square, and keep boards flat.

After enough repetition, a lot of saw dust, and a fair bit of wasted wood, it got easier. There's a ton of resources online, and this community is particularly helpful, but while the guidance you'll get here is a huge help, I think everyone everyone really needs to learn through experience.

I agree with Chuck. One of these days, a light will go off, after much wasted time and wood, and you'll think, damn , is that all I had to do, why didn't I think of that before.

Hang in there dude and don't give up. This woodworking stuff can be very pretty cool.