Jointer Blades

Coop

Thanks Steve. I've gotten decent sharpening my plane iron on a water stone using a guide from Rockler, but wouldn't know where to start on a blade that wide. My jointer works good now, but like any other blade, you don't realize how dull it is until you sharpen it!

Ken

Check out the following. It seems like a great jig for sharpening planer and jointer knives.

http://www.infinitytools.com/12-Planer-Knife-Sharpener-For-Knives-Up-To-15-Long/productinfo/100%2D262/

It's a nice looking jig with the brass inserts and set screws but somewhere I saw someone make their own out of a piece of hardwood.  Seems doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting back after buying the Deulen blade sharpening jig. This might should be in the product reviews, but since I started it here, I thought I'd wrap it up here. First, I was impressed with the construction. The wood handle is beefy and the milled brass blade holders are well made. I bought their sandpaper strips, as they were precut and came with the adhesive backing. Since I was sharpening the three blades on my jointer, I used the suggested method of alternating the blades while sharpening. With the sandpaper placed on a 1/4" piece of glass, I used the 10 strokes as suggested, beginning with the 220 grit as there were no nicks in the blades. The progression from one grit to the next, revealed an even line across the edges of the blades. After completing the 400 grit, I installed the blades, adjusted the blade height and reset the infeed and outfeed tables.

I ran a piece of 6/4 figured cherry thru and got amazing results. No chatter and the best surface I've gotten since owning the machine.

Thanks Tim for the link to this site.