TWWG Split Top Roubo Build #544

estesbubba

I feel like Icky Woods finally getting some cold cuts as I started my Roubo today. I bought 170 BF of 8/4 and 40 BF of 4/4 hard maple.

post-8178-142707239921_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14270724209_thumb.jpg

First thing was to put sharpened knives in my jointer and planer. I got both done in about an hour but if Grizzly has summer sale on Byrd heads it might be time.

post-8178-14270726905_thumb.jpg

I laid out all my 8/4 boards to try and come up with a plan for minimal waste. The puppy decided they were more comfortable than the concrete.

post-8178-142707306142_thumb.jpg

post-8178-142707307415_thumb.jpg

I decided to mill up 2 of the rough boards to see how it would go. Wrestling these suckers around is a workout. I hit the rough edges with the jointer then cut to 4.5" wide on the bandsaw.

post-8178-142707323622_thumb.jpg

I face jointed and planed, then edge jointed and planed the other edge. It's a good feeling seeing these monster boards come out dead on!

post-8178-142707348394_thumb.jpg

post-8178-142707349421_thumb.jpg

The front calls for 5 8/4 boards but these milled up so nicely I'm only 1/2" shy of final width right now. Should I just mill a little thinner and add a 3/4" board in the middle? Seems like a waste to plane a bunch more off these and use another 8/4 board. What do you guys think?

Windows open in the shop and starting on my new bench was a great day.

.........The front calls for 5 8/4 boards but these milled up so nicely I'm only 1/2" shy of final width right now. Should I just mill a little thinner and add a 3/4" board in the middle? Seems like a waste to plane a bunch more off these and use another 8/4 board. What do you guys think?

Congrats...looks like you are off to a great start!

I would mill all of the long boards before making the decision.

Personally, I would keep to the plans.

Deviating from the plans opens the door for bonehead mistakes...otherwise, no reason not to...just complicates things a little.  If I were to make the bench deeper, I'd wanna do it on the rear slab instead of the front where all of the important and challenging stuff happens.

I'm too OCD to have that one 3/4" board mixed in with all the rest of the 8/4 boards...otherwise, no reason not to...just unnerves you every time you see it for the rest of your life. :)

• Like 1

Nice progress. I think the others read into your question differently. As I understand it you are keeping the slab to the dimensions in the plan and the question is whether to use another 8/4 board and plane a lot of waste off of each board or just use a 4/4 board and plane off much less waste. If that's the case I don't see a problem at all. I did that for the back slab. I put it in the middle and it looks fine IMO. There's a picture in my build thread if you want to see how it looks. 

==>What do you guys think?

Depends on how OCD you are... :)

Actually, I'm not sure that's a joke... There's a lot of OCD in building a bench...

There’s a blog entry by either JA or CS on milling the top – I forget which… Basically, you start with one more stick than you need, divide the total into the final width and mill accordingly… All sticks in the top will be the same width… After seeing photos of his benches, I suspect it was from JA*…

For my build, the top was 12/4 QS Sugar (rock) Maple and the base was a heavy 8/4- Pennsylvania Black Cherry... I bought extra sticks of both for the inevitable mistake...

Now for the real quesiton: round or square?  :)

*BTW: I also believe this came-up during Marc's Q/A with CS... Could be wrong... But....

• Like 1

Nice progress. I think the others read into your question differently. As I understand it you are keeping the slab to the dimensions in the plan and the question is whether to use another 8/4 board and plane a lot of waste off of each board or just use a 4/4 board and plane off much less waste. If that's the case I don't see a problem at all. I did that for the back slab. I put it in the middle and it looks fine IMO. There's a picture in my build thread if you want to see how it looks. 

Brandon, yes I'm not changing the dimensions of the project as it's already going to be challenging enough. Since this is part of the front top section that needs to be 7 13/16" I'm thinking of using 3/4" board. This section will have dog strip and face added to it so it will already have varying widths on that section. When I mill up more boards from the rough stock I'll see if I can use 4 of them. 

Putting a contrasting wood down the center will actually be off once the dog strip and laminate are added. 

Originally I thought about using walnut or cherry for the end cap and chop. Since I have the machined wheels with rosewood knobs, I want these to stand out and leaning all maple now. Walnut or cherry won't match the rosewood which might look out of place. What do you guys think?

Milled up some more boards and will be able to use 6 boards instead of 7 for the back which is nice. Front is 1/2" shy from being able to use 4 so I'll mill up one more. Very happy how flat these all turned out. About 4" total waste from the edges which isn't bad and still have 92 BF of 8/4 left plus some shorter stuff so should be good on wood.

Milling these monster boards is a workout but actually really fun.

post-8178-142757197176_thumb.jpg

post-8178-142757198091_thumb.jpg

post-8178-142757199349_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14275720036_thumb.jpg

Great progress...where was your helper?

You guys think I should run the boards thru the drum sander or light sanding by hand before gluing? Ran thru planar on slow speed but a few light lines from knife nicks.

I am not planning to sand before glueing when I get to this stage on my Roubo.  I am interested in how the other folks answer your question and the rationale they provide.  Are your concerned with the light lines from the knife nicks?

Nah, not necessary.  There's so much glue surface and glue and clamping pressure that it won't matter.  In fact an argument could be made that those little planer lines will actually be an advantage...think toothing plane and veneering.  Get back to work!

I edge jointed, planed the other edge, then planed the back to final width. It came out great. Next I milled another 8/4 board for the front and kept taking a 16th off each board to hit 7 13/16. Misread my ruler and took one pass too many and ended up at 7 3/4 :( After hours of jointing and planing I was brain-numb at the end and stupid mistake.

Don't know it's going to cause problems with other measurements down the road. I might just mill another to be safe and punish myself to think things out.