Shaper cut tenons (response to email)

dwacker

This post is actually a response to an email that someone sent me, from an anonymous email address. Im assuming this is a member of this forum. Below Im posting a copy and paste of that email, I am adding a response for all to see.

First shaper cutters can cut tenons real nice. Below I have made a little video excuse the dirty hands. I installed a set of insert cutters that have been over sharpened to the cutter head that cut a hair shallow. This is to show how the scoring cutters clean the corners very nicely. Normally they are perfectly even but in this case I wanted to show the scoring lines. Secondly the miter gauge being used is an Osbourne any one that is familiar with them will see that its obvious at the end of the video. Lastly notice I hold this stock scrap loosely with just one or two fingers and there is no sandpaper on the miter gauge. I have also inserted a video from Osbourne showing how to make a sacrificial block to go on the fence without drilling or using double sided tape. I have posted a photo of the completed tenon made using no back up to prevent tear out and the score line visible. The second photo is of the cutter head used for this operation. It is just a cheap $89 steel rebate cutter with solid carbide inserts. The tenon depth is 40mm this head has a max depth of 50mm.

Thank you

PB,

Im writing to comment on some comments that you have made on WTO. I feel you are giving people poor advice. It is not possible to make tenons on a shaper. Secondly an Osbourne miter gauge will not fit on any shaper nor can a person add a backer block to a Osbourne miter gauge without drilling the face or using adhesive. Shaper bits cant cut clean shoulders needed to make good fitting tenons. Shaper bits are very dangerous and need a high quality sled. I have used shapers for many years in my career as a woodworker and have not yet found any that will make good tenons. I suggest you stop spreading these lies, I do not believe you even have a shaper. 

Good Day

https://youtu.be/vIoLIZdLouA

post-5350-0-43571600-1427128993_thumb.jp

post-5350-0-86553200-1427129015_thumb.jp

https://youtu.be/SYQbeGBHxvY

• Like 2

Well I don't have a shaper and likely won't be getting one in my shop but it seems pretty evident to me (from that video) that it will make a tenon just fine.  I too am a little shocked by that email.  Even before watching the video I was confused by the emailers comments about tenons on a shaper.  I mean if you can cut a tenon on a router table then you surely can cut one on a shaper.  Anyway if he was going to call you out he should at least have the guts to use his own email address.  Another internet tough guy.

I was gonna say, this has to be a troll...

Unfortunately this stuff happens. My response would have been the same either way. I would like to know how someone got my personal email address. I have corresponded with a few from the forum via email but didn't think any of those folks were this sort of person.

LIES! IT IS ALL CGI!!

Actually, I really like that idea.  I'll give it a go next time I do some M&Ts. 

I want one of those miter gauges too!

If you have two identical heads give that a shot with a spacer, easier than flipping the board. Rebate heads don't pull the stock like braised.

When I was a trucker, we had the same problems.  On the CB, you would hear voices scream and curse and call you every kind of name..... We called them "Radio Rambo's" !  I guess the internet is full of Cyber Rambo's...  I think they're like an alligator with a bad attitude, all mouth and no ass!

I SAID GOOD DAY!

ha ha, these guys make me laugh so hard. Keyboard commandos to The max. Clearly fueling up on trollios.. The funny thing is everyone probably knows who it is. .

PB, If that is your real name. . I appreciate your response being out in the open. I don't own a shaper but knowledge is knowledge. I'll take.

BT Out..