dust collection for a shop classroom

duckkisser

I was wondering if you guys thought a 2hp dust collector would be enough for a classroom.   we will have only around 5 kids working on machines at one time usualy 2-3 tools at one time. usualy being used are 2 large belt sander, 2 band saws, 3 scroll saws are the heavy used tools in the classroom.  1 chop saw and table saw but those are intermittent because I usually use those until I am comfortable with a kids using them.

I know you guys are on a budget...but a 2HP unit isn't enough to even get close to efficient DC in that setting.  It's hardly adequate in my little one-man two car garage shop.  You're a bargain hound...get on CL and start scrounging for a steal on a used 5HP unit.

don't think we will get a 5hp cost over budget capital and wiring isent there for 5hp plan is to get 2hp now then get a second one farther down the road and use one for each wall.  don't need to eliminate it totally just need to cut back the light stuff that we breathe.

The light stuff that you breathe is exactly the stuff that requires the big DC.  You can clean up the bulk of the mess with a 2HP but it's not good enough for the dangerous fines.  One 5HP will be far better than two 2HPs.

You guys don't have 220 in your shop?