Tool Slat Wall

Joshua Luther

I'm making progress, albeit slowly, on reorganizing my shop. Finishing up my tool storage slat wall. Just have a few more tool holders to make for it. Then it's on to hanging my shelves and lumber rack up. Then I will be disassembling my Sprunger 14" bandsaw and painting it. Then I might be able to actually build something.

aba643979697e35db47ada279eb6de23.jpg

d7e5c7e4fd6be058612ec18db2be889a.jpg

Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭20‬

Looks like you need a much bigger slat wall for that space, then shelves etc. !

I wanted an area that is easy to access my most used tools. If I made it any bigger, it would be harder to reach my tools. Plus my intention was to never make it big enough for all of my tools.

To the left of the slat wall and above my chop saw, will be my lumber storage. Above and to the right will be shelves. (For general garage storage, non woodworking related stuff). Just to the right and behind my band saw will be my clamp rack. Haven't yet decided what to do with the wall on the right where my ladder is hanging. I will more than likely hang my ladder on the ceiling. There's a lot of wasted space on that wall. In my wall cabinet on the right are cleaning supplies, caulk, paint and auto related stuff. It's nice to have a cabinet dedicated to putting stuff in that I don't want saw dust on. I'm searching for a cheap standing metal cabinet to replace it, but have to wait till it's in the budget.

I would be tempted to move everything outside on a nice sunny weekend and give everything a home to give you more floor space. But, that is a good start!

The main wall was uninsulated and had exposed studs just two weeks ago. I had to remove everything I had on the wall. My lumber rack and shelves. When I finished, I felt like I was starting all over with my shop. I had to also move everything to the opposite side of the garage to do it, then move it all back at the end of the day so my wife could park in there. It sucked.

Then I had a weekend when she was gone and so I was able to leave it all on the other side and finish it. The previous layout was not as efficient as this will be.

It's kind of fun to "start over" but it's stressful at times and time consuming at the same time trying to find a place for everything. But every little bit of progress that I make, encourages me to keep at it to finish.