Router Table suggestion

Continuing on the project of new cabinet doors, the new shaker bit set arrived today.  I had planned on using the router that takes the 1/2" bits with the router table, however it looks like the royobi table has a unique thread size for a royobi router. 

Any suggestions how I can fix this porter-cable to make the shaker frames easier?

The photo shows:

-Base of the porter-cable

-Surface of the royobi router table

-Small thread screws that hold the porter-cable black surface onto the base

-Large screws that held the royobi router to the router table

There are only three screw holes beneath the plate on that porter-cable, specifically for those three flat-head screws.

post-17558-0-05766200-1427395636_thumb.j

Looks to me like you are trying to make chicken soup out of chicken $hit. If you are doing shaker doors you can run a groove in your stiles and rails on the table saw and skip that whole mess.

In other words. That router is not designed to be used under that table and unless you jerry rig it by drilling new holes that line up with the router base, it won't work. 

Looks to me like you are trying to make chicken soup out of chicken $hit. If you are doing shaker doors you can run a groove in your stiles and rails on the table saw and skip that whole mess.

I don't think he has a table saw. He posted a thread already. 

I would just make a new table does not need to be fancy, just a piece of melamine or plywood. The fence can be anything straight like a piece of ply or hardwood. If the cope and pattern cutters are 90 degrees I would not suggest buying a special router bit set for just a few doors. Straight bit and a rabbet bit are really all that is needed.

Good call by PB. I've seen him mention this before and it really makes sense. A router table isn't necessarily a complicated gizmo. Just flat and square are key. Be careful if you look for melamine in a big box store, they typically only have it on a particle board (no pun intended) backer. That won't be great for screw capture. Better off using a nice cabinet grade ply or gluing up some formica to a solid substrate. I'm assuming you have a circular saw, square and a strait edge, that will get the job done.

Also use some nice strong clamps when you clamp down your fence. You don't want that moving on you in the middle of an operation.

You can use particle board just fine there is not really a need for it to hold screws. Just counter sink some washers in the top. The cone shaped screws will sit flush with the washers. The threads are in the router itself. You will need to get slightly longer screws at the hardware store. One "C" clamp is all that is needed. Let the fence pivot on a bolt on one end and just swing the fence to make adjustments, clamp the free end and cut away. Gotta love old school.

• Like 1

You can use particle board just fine there is not really a need for it to hold screws. Just counter sink some washers in the top. The cone shaped screws will sit flush with the washers. The threads are in the router itself. You will need to get slightly longer screws at the hardware store. One "C" clamp is all that is needed. Let the fence pivot on a bolt on one end and just swing the fence to make adjustments, clamp the free end and cut away. Gotta love old school.

You're just a proponent of Particle Board!  Yes, suppose it will work with washers...I still wouldn't use it.  :P

Where do you get melamine that's NOT on the industrial particle board? I've never seen it available (in sheets or premade shelves or whatever) with any other substrate. I've also heard that "industrial" particle board used for that is substantially more durable than the cheap stuff from Ikea and the like...

Where do you get melamine that's NOT on the industrial particle board? I've never seen it available (in sheets or premade shelves or whatever) with any other substrate. I've also heard that "industrial" particle board used for that is substantially more durable than the cheap stuff from Ikea and the like...

Any commercial place that sells to cabinet shops will be able to get it melamine plywood. Some call vinyl melamine but it's not so you have to be specific. Both are used for cabinet boxes.