Thinking while jigging

Brendon_t

Is not a crime and should be done every time. ..

In preparation to glue up 4 sides to jewelry boxes, I stopped and built a jig to help keep everything aligned and easier to clamp. The jig worked great, for making left sides. Once all 4 sides finished drying, I set the sidesto realize I had made 4 lefts. . Ugh. The legs are asymmetrical and I didn't take it into consideration when making the jig..

The crappy part was that the legs were all book matched and now won't be once I make two right sides.

Those painful mistakes are the ones you really learn from ! Bet you never make that error again .

Sometimes I try to prevent others from making mistakes I learned the hard way , then they argue with me, so I figure let them learn the hard way if they won't listen to hard won experience .

make a second box or can you possibly change the design make it shorter or make a tall narrow box instead of a flat box.  maybe its a candle holder i tell my students you dont make mistakes except when you give up.   when you make a mistake you change the design and cover up your mistake.  for example yesterday a student was making a pencil box and while sanding a corner chipped off.  so we put it on the table saw and cut all 4 corners off it ended up looking much better design wise. 

Hey duck, unfortunately with this design, there would be no way to turn a left side into a right side without killing a lot of my favorite design elements. I have no problem throwing the two legs on the shelf as I've already made a new right side jig and two right sides. I'm sure I'll make a few more of these boxes. When I do, bam, one side is done.

Totally agree with all. I was super pissed off when I first noticed it. Then I got off my high horse and realized I had nobody to blame but me. It's going to be a lesson that definitely sets me back some in time but I bet I don't make it again.

Whenever I make a stupid mistake, I normally vent with a yell, then compose myself, and follow your advice.  Learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them.  One of the really great things about the forum is the ability to learn from other's mistakes.  Thanks for posting.