Dust collector lower bag question

wouldwurker

While I have a shop vac/cyclone system for my sanding station, my TS and planer is hooked up to a 1.5hp shop fox, upper/lower bag type dust collector (4" hose)

I have since replaced the upper bag with a 2.5 micron bag (the heavy felt-type), from the existing 15 micron bag.

It made a considerable difference as far as the dust I'd find settled on flat shop surfaces.

As far as the lower bag replacement is concerned, I've seen different options out there and and done some research, but it also seems that an air tight bottom bag might affect performance.

If I wack the bottom bag, I will see a small

puff of dust come out from it. Seems to be the same fabric as the stock upper bag.

Thanks. Any input would be helpful.

I have a plastic bottom bag. I wouldn't sweat any performance concerns. Plus I would think the plastic bottom bag would be easier to handle throwing out the wood chips. Every so often I take the upper felt bag off on a windy day and beat the bag against a tree. Helps to remove any cake in the bag. 

-Ace-

It varies by collect and real cfm. One way to tell the performance loss is to just use your collector. If you notice cfm loss when the bag nears full then that is what it will be with a plastic bag all the time. If you can't tell any difference between full and empty then it will have minimal affect.

We use a 3hp Woodtek 1 micron four bagger as a jobsite dust collector, and I've been very pleased with the cleanliness it leaves.  They sell replacement bags in different sizes, but I have no idea what else they fit.  The "felt" fabric is very thick too.   http://woodworker.com/dust-collector-1m-bag-12-12x22-mssu-123-851.asp