funky freckled cherry lumber

tcarswell

I wa. s thinking the same thing my wife loves any kind of lumber the different Salted especially and birds eye.I think it's really Neat.I googled a bunch of stuff and couldn't find a single board like it. was just curious if anybody knew what on earth happened with this piece of cherry

I ran this by my friend Bob Kloes http://www.bobkloes.com He is a furniture maker and hardwood seller. He advised, it's probably bark pocket. He sent me a picture of a board he had on hand and it looks just like it. I will try to get the picture posted

-Ace-

Here is the pic he sent me. What ya think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22x7e3wcoqtjo39/bark%20inclusion.JPG?dl=0

looks like massively wide-spread gum pockets to me. Cherry is known for weird distributions of gum and that's too wide spread to likely be bark inclusion. Take a look, for example, at the "cherry, gummy" page on my site.

As to whether it's a "defect" or an "asset", that's entirely up to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It was on the rack at home depot of all places. No clue other than that. I've found quilted maple and curly cherry. This looks like birds eyes more than gum thoufh. Let me get another picture. This board has a few gum pockets but they look nothing like the freckels. Odd board

New guy here, I too bought two pieces of very similar looking cherry wood from home depot this weekend. (Central Cal)  Found two 3/4 x 3.1/2" x 8' sticks of it.  Kinda cringed when I got the the register as I didn't do the math on the cost but I think it will look great as the outer faces of my workbench I'm building.  Give me something pretty to look at for years to come.