Do you name your machines?

collinb

My Precious – Certainly not the stationary power tools… Power tools only get named when something goes wrong – and the names aren’t for a family-friendly community… Especially the wide-belt sander… There is not a single stationary tool as finicky as an oscillating wide-belt sander… Well, at least not any that I’ve owned… I haven’t owned one yet that’s not a maintenance nightmare… Sort of a black hole in the shop space/time/money continuum…

My Precious: Maybe the LN Small Smoother in Bronze or perhaps the 4” Starrett Combo Square…. How about the ½” Blue Spruce Dovetail Paring Chisel – that’s pretty sweet… Another candidate is the Auriou 8” Modeler’s Rasp in #13 stitching or the Bridge City Saddle Square… Maybe something from Woodpeckers... Don't know...

Let me take that back -- there is one item in the shop that has a name... Soon after purchase, I ‘lost’ the guard for the surface planer*... It's a 750kg beast that tends to scare the snot out of summer shop helpers (and so it should)... Some years ago, we had some stock remaining from a dining table build --- it was repurposed to tame the gaping maw: 16/4 Honduran Mahogany around 42" long x 6" wide fashioned into an enormous push stick – PushZilla…

*Note: And before anyone asks, Surface Planer is the Euro name for Jointer.. Or maybe the other way around...

That's my only one as well... I call it "Persuasion".

I have its close cousin, "The persuader".

I have names for all the other things too.  Saw, Bandsaw, MItersaw, Jointer, etch.  Unlike George Foreman, I can't really get confused which one I'm yelling at.