Bought into the koolaide

bushwacked

The orange koolaide that is.

111bbf2e4cad42686a04439b684d1bd7.jpg

351f1195e53741c887120fbdf8ea91e3.jpg

Seems solid so far just putting it together. The insert seems a little flimsy though but overall Doesn't feel cheap. However I may have run across the cheapness issue with the locking knob.

9d0362da9f104973f020f9f74cf5bfe6.jpg

I have tried for about 10 mins to get this thing on. Is there a secret to get this thing to latch onto the threads? Or did I catch a bad one and am out of luck until I contact rigid?

Hmmm let me check mine.

Just checked and it went right on... counter-clockwise. Perhaps you're right and got a poorly machined thread.

Thanks for checking!

take the knob to an hardware store, get a bolt that will fit it and a nut that will fit the bolt. run the bolt in to the knob and the threads down the stem. just see if can clean up the threads on each a bit and it may work fine.

Can I replace this bolt?

644b57500806b57959bc194d65efcd6b.jpg

I think I found the issue.

Also while I can't work with this at the moment I might as well shop and buy some drum paper. What's a good set to buy?

I wonder about their policy sometimes. I've often seen stuff on the shelf taped up and suspected it was returned. One day, I bought a light for my wife's craft room and it was banged up and I took it back. Just for the hell of it, I drew a small star on the box. I showed them the problem and got a new one after opening it up to check it. The next day, I needed something else from there and went by the light dept. and the damn light I returned had been restocked.

What happened to the old Mom and Pop way of life?

Is there a dc port on that thing?

It's a bummer yours is banged up. I just got a hd gift card for my birthday from my brother and was on looking at this earlier.

Yes it does

That is a very useful sander. I wore one out and immediately replaced it with another. Dust collection,isn't,great but,otherwise,a,great,tool.

It have a good long life? I'm excited to use it once I actually can haha

I will be at HD as soon as they open in the morning.

It lasted about 4-5 years in my shop ! I was pushing it real hard 9- 10 hours a day on a job many days in a row, burned it up, bought another and finished the job w a new one. Saved the carcass for parts !

Wow that's not too bad then if it survived that long with you kicking it's ass. Says a lot for this machine.

There are days and weeks that go by and it doesn't get used. Some days it gets a few minutes or hour of use. So it vary's from project to project. Still a bargain at the price. I ended up buying a Jet 6" x 89" osselating belt sander to handle bigger work, still use the Ridgid for small stuff.

Be careful ! They will sand the skin off your fingertip in a split second, and it hurts like hell !

• Like 1

I'm pretty interested in this sander, but I have a question or two:

First, do the accessories clip in or do they just set in? I am thinking I want to build a fliptop stand and put my Steel City lunchbox planer, which is basically the Ridgid planer but with helical head (though not the angled kinves), on one side and the sander on the other side. Would the accessories fall out? Are there other considerations that would prevent it from working?

Second, I am wondering about the usefulness of this type of sander vs say, the Rikon belt and disc sander. I did some searching the other day and found an older thread from 2013 on this topic and wondered if anyone had changed their thoughts or if the past still holds.

I mainly do smaller projects such a box to store a card game or gift box for a bottle of scotch, but have been doing some larger things such as benches, etc.

Thanks for any advice in advance. 

Just picked one up also. The spindles are a loose fit not a pressure fit when they are stored. With the table down and secured the spindles stay in their slots but I don't think they would stay if the unit were turned upside down like in a flip top stand.

Never had a disc/belt combo so I can't help with that, but so far I have found this unit really useful. I am currently making curved legs and this thing works like a champ. Table is square to the belt out of the box on mine, but has set screws to adjust if needed.

My only regret is not buying it sooner.