Method to remove wood for end vise...

schu777

I'm in the process of gluing up pieces for my work bench - I've got some old growth Douglas fir that I'm using for the full build.  I'm planning on putting in a wagon vise on the end, but need to know what possible methods are available to clean out the 1.5" to 2.0" of wood that will be the vise.  So far I know of two possible methods:

1) Use the band saw to cut the portion off using a hand saw to get the other cut down.  Good thing is I have good setup to do this and with the test I did, it was very close and clean.  Bad thing is there would be some clean up to do and not for sure the best way.

2) Use a hand saw to make repeatable cuts, then take a chisel to knock out the rest, then use a chisel to flatten the rest.  Good thing is this would be fairly quick.  Bad thing is that the knocking the pieces out might go too deep and take out too much since this is douglas fir.

Is there any other possible ways to do this?

Size of piece:  6' 6" long, 3" wide and 5" thick.  So the 3" wide portion is the top/bottom of the work bench where the 5" is the thickness of the bench.

Thanks, Michael