Rectangular Chip Separator

ChrisG-Canada

I'm in the process of designing a cart for my DW735 planer and I was looking for a use for the space below the planer. I could build drawers but I really don't need drawers in that location.

I had the thought of turning that space into some sort of a chip pre-separator before the actual dust collector. Planer is a big source of chips so I thought more separation might be better and with the fan ejection on the DW735 it might overcome any additional suction loss...

I've looked at some of the separator designs on the Internet (Thien, etc.) but these require a round enclosure. I was wondering if anyone has experience or ideas for a separator in a rectangular space?

I'm in the process of designing a cart for my DW735 planer and I was looking for a use for the space below the planer. I could build drawers but I really don't need drawers in that location.

I had the thought of turning that space into some sort of a chip pre-separator before the actual dust collector. Planer is a big source of chips so I thought more separation might be better and with the fan ejection on the DW735 it might overcome any additional suction loss...

I've looked at some of the separator designs on the Internet (Thien, etc.) but these require a round enclosure. I was wondering if anyone has experience or ideas for a separator in a rectangular space?

Rockler has a free plan with a set of their 4" duct inlets. http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4-dust-separator-components

I built it, and structurally, it works fine. Plans are clear, assembly is straightforward. However, I didn't really start getting into dust collection when I built it, and I didn't have the 735. I can't speak to how well it works.

The thing about the 735 is, you may not need to hook it up to dust collection at all. The blower is pretty dang powerful. You could just make a box with a spot for a furnace filter like this: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/15344 Just an idea to consider. I read somewhere (might be here) that a lack of attention to blast gates led someone to discover chips from the 735 being shot out the miter saw 15 feet away.

Chris, I think with the cyclonic action required, you will need a cylinder.

That is most likely true if you need to get best separation, but just using a rectangular plastic trash can with an inlet and an outlet in the lid worked better than I would have guessed when I did it for a while.  Also you probably could have a fairly shallow cylinder at the top and get cyclonic action with the rest rectangular or square.  I'd be willing to bet something like the Thien in the top of a rectangular box would work fine.  I have not done it though.

Here's my rectangular chip separator!

Never gets old...I laugh every time.

On topic, why does a round thing not fit into a rectangular space? Look at Vinny's sanding station. He used a dust deputy custom fit on to a rectangular collection box all integrated into his rectangular cart.

• 2 weeks later...

Just build a large opening underneath and put a trash can with a thein type separator underneath. This not only solves the issue of the square compartment but also makes emptying the collector easier since you can just pull out the trash can and haul it out of the shop.