Finishing painted pine

Illini40

I'm a newbie and need some finishing guidance.

As a beginner project, I built a bench to put in our garage to store shoes and other junk. Nothing fancy, but some good practice.

It's built out if pine. I've painted one coat and plan to put a second on tomorrow.

My question - after paint, should I spary anything on it to be more durable and give a shine?

Not really sure what I'm trying to accomplosh, but feel like there should be another step after just paint....

What kind of paint did you use? Enamel paint has more shine and is more durable. Was your paint oil base or Latex ?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Ace had pints of samples of Valspar paint for $.99 so I picked some up. The can does not give much info, just that it's for interior and trim.

Does that help?

Also - should I do a quick sand now? If so, how high of grit? I ask because there are some bumpy areas. I was using a cheap brush, and I think it was working against me. Then, a final coat?

You can light sand with 320 grit paper between coats. I would buy a good Purdy or Wooster brush to use for the final coat. Tip: Once you have the paint on evenly bring the brush straight up to 90 degrees and use just the tip of the brush full stroke (from beginning of surface to end of surface) to eliminate brush strokes. Also if your paint is too thick you may have to thin it a bit. (no more than 10%) If it is latex you can use water or windshield washer fluid. I like to use washer fluid because it helps the paint go on smoother and it doesn't effect the paint color. If you are using an oil base paint you will need to use turpentine or paint thinner to thin it as well as cleaning the brush. I wouldn't use the recycled thinner for thinning paint. Spend a couple dollars more and buy a qt. of real paint thinner.