Little Box

Indy Cindy

I made a small box to hold my stray Forstner bits. The box is made of 1/4" and 1/8" Baltic birch, joints were made with a Rockler box joint jig. Kind of a fun project. Since it is a utilitarian box I felt freed to play around with dyes and finishes and not worry if it didn't come out perfect.

post-5342-0-03948800-1427668610_thumb.jp

post-5342-0-41454800-1427668395_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Why do your bits stray Cindy? don't you feed them enough?  Nice box, I like box joints, I use them quite a bit. I'm to lazy to mess with dovetails.

I have one boxed set of common sized Forstner bits and a bunch of other odd sizes purchased one at a time for specific projects. Homeless they became free range. I actually started making this box for router bits. I have some strays there too so I will be making another box. :)

• Like 1

Great looking box Cindy. Gotta love that Rockler jig!

Mark, I've had mine a couple of years and really like it. Accurate spacing can be achieved with the little brass bars, whatever they're called, but they are a must. When I bought mine, it was on sale for about$50. I see them on sale now for $130 or so. They've made a couple of revisions, but that's still a little steep.

Thanks, guys. :) I got my Rockler Box jig last September on sale for $69.99 which was $10 off the regular price. Oh, their deal also included a free 3/8" spiral upcut bit which was listed at $24 so I got a better deal than I remembered. They did a demo on the jig that day so their deal might have been local to just our store in Indy.

This is the first time I have used it, so far so good. Well designed and well made. Coop, I'm glad you like yours. I see they have a new second version for larger boxes. Is that the one you saw for over $100? I think they still sell the original.

Cindy, you're one of the finest craftspeople among us.  I know it's a simple project made of humble materials, but your attention to detail shows in everything you do.

Can't speak to the Rockler box jig, but if it's really $130, I'd look at the Incra i-box jig instead for another $20 or so.

Cindy, you're one of the finest craftspeople among us.  I know it's a simple project made of humble materials, but your attention to detail shows in everything you do.

Wow, Eric. That was unexpected. Thank-you. :)

I remember in one of my beginning woodworking classes I was cutting a board to length carefully setting up the stop to a specific length. The instructor said it doesn't really matter how long it is, save some time and just cut it. I told him that I wanted to learn how to cut accurately when it doesn't matter so that when it does matter I can do it. I approach most things that way.

• Like 2