Stereo system in the shop?

Brendon_t

estesbubba, Bradnail, Particle Board... + anyone else with 4 or more speakers...

did you stagger the L & R channels?

e.g., does it go like this:

L  -  L  -  L

R  -  R -  R

or

L  -  R  -  L

R  - L  -  R

I'm probably being pedantic here but I think with the latter you'd get better stereo imaging b/c you're more frequently between a L & R speaker.

I 'm going for 4 speakers...  so was thinking

L  -  R

R -  L

These are the things you get caught up with when iterating with the architect and not actually having the shop built yet!

M

I'm with wtnhighlander. No music when working in my shop. Being a veteran UPS driver I have become accustomed to the silence (other than the sound of the truck) If my wife comes into the shop she will always wait to announce herself until I have stopped doing whatever task that I am involved with.  

I'm with wtnhighlander. No music when working in my shop. Being a veteran UPS driver I have become accustomed to the silence (other than the sound of the truck) If my wife comes into the shop she will always wait to announce herself until I have stopped doing whatever task that I am involved with.

My postal delivery gal always has an earbud in one ear and is usually rocking out.

Wow, my respect level for the ups guys just went WAY up! I drive a truck all day and I don't think I could do it with no radio!

Usually during the day it's quite in the shop other than equipment running.  However at the end of the day before leaving, tunes get cranked up while I'm have a beer.  Have an old(er) Onkyo receiver and a pair of 4' Venturi speakers (love these things).  Makes the walls vibrate without sound distortion  B) 

My postal delivery girl walks. Federal DOT is interesting. I know for a fact that this is not enforced in my state. Our small shop had to be commercially licensed and never on a tag check of our vehicles did anyone squawk about a Bluetooth headset. My neighbor cop never batted an eye When I rode along. I am not arguing as I have family Brown employees and know the training is thorough. I just find the discussion interesting.

Edit: curiosity got the better of me. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Mobile_Phone_Rule_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Interesting about the USPS gal Brendon. Federal DOT law prohibits the use of ear buds as well as cell phones or any other handheld device while operating a commercial vehicle. Guess she didn't get the memo. "LOL"

ear buds and actually using the cell phone in a commercial vehicle is illegal, but the use of a hands free device is ok, as long as it's only in one ear and doesn't require the driver to use more than 1 button to call or hand up. I'm sure that most of the state troopers and DOT are more focused on trucks with this law than on all cmv's. It's all about that profit, $1200 ticket for an infraction!

Music doesn't distract me at all. In fact while reading, I usually have my headphones on with music going. It drive my wife nuts in college that I would study with music on. She's the kind that needs quiet to concentrate.

I guess it's just having background noise that I like. What I love about streaming Pandora is I can just fade off until a great song comes on. Then I listen

kinda of off topic but every day on my drive in I see both drivers and cyclists with ear buds in both ears. They are a danger to society. In order to drive safely, you need to be able to hear the road around you. Call it karma or poetic justice, these people will all go hearing impaired by the time they are 50.

Honestly, hearing is probably the last sense to come into play while your driving. I drive a Kenworth T-300, it's not loud as far as trucks go, but I can't hear a siren until the are right on me unless both windows are down, and in most newer cars they are so quite on the inside you'd be hard pressed to hear anything that you wouldn't see first. I think if people would pay attention to what goes on AROUND them, not just in front of their cars, we would be a lot safer. Ok, back to the subject at hand...

Cyclist are a whole different issue, only a fool would ride a bike and not be able to hear traffic coming up behind you!

I used an old ghetto blaster (yeah, shaped just like you're thinking) as my shop radio for the longest time. By the time I was done with it it was so unrecognizable from the 1/2" layer of gelcoat, wood dust, fiberglass strands and whatever else it managed to collect that you would never know it was a stereo, aside from the sound coming from it.

Run what you brung!

I moved to headphones and audiobooks, though. The only time the radio is on is when I'm listening to CBC.

I used an old ghetto blaster (yeah, shaped just like you're thinking) as my shop radio for the longest time. By the time I was done with it it was so unrecognizable from the 1/2" layer of gelcoat, wood dust, fiberglass strands and whatever else it managed to collect that you would never know it was a stereo, aside from the sound coming from it.

Run what you brung!

I moved to headphones and audiobooks, though. The only time the radio is on is when I'm listening to CBC.

+1 for CBC radio! Though I don't like the new addition of advertising.

• 2 months later...