Fescult

So I was at my parent's house for dinner for my dad's bday, he and my uncle were talking. I had told my dad I bought a Kapex miter saw. He said to my uncle that Festool is like some tool cult. So I said it's not a cult, it's a quality tool that delivers fantastic results and provides simplicity and ease to doing certain jobs. But why do they make it so expensive? So I actually defended the pricing to an extent, between the warranty, the build quality and the results you get are not comparable, and the dust control makes a big difference.

I love that argument oh so much. 

I was a Festool hater at one point. I didn't understand how someone could spend $500 on a circular saw, or $600 on a vacuum, or $1500 on a miter saw (still not quite on board with that last bit). As someone who has come around to the concept and then some, I can only say that it is a brand, and a set of tools that really require hands-on use to appreciate.

Too many people put down tools and brands without ever using them. From Harbor Freight to Festool, Hammer and beyond, there's a tool for everyone. Even Craftsman.  :o

It's the Apple of power tools (credit to Marc for that).  There are Apple haters, but they make pretty good products (9 Apple products in a house of three people here).  I wish Festool was closer to Apple's price point.

• Like 1

I can't say that I'm a Festool hater but, as a 71 YO hobbyist, I just can not justify the prices. And this comes from a one time mobile tool distributor who sold the second most expensive tools in the world!

I sold Mac tools to professional auto technicians who needed the service  and quality the tools provided. And yes, I did sell some to "shade tree" mechanics and hobbyist's too.  But, to be totally honest, they really didn't need them to do what they were doing.  Unless it was a specialty tool that they could not get from another source.

If you are a professional wood worker making a living from your tools I would say that you may really need the Festool line across the board. But as a hobbyist, they are a pure luxury and should be treated as such.

Rog 

but they have some tools that are just too much for me. There is better bang for my buck out there.

Very true, I wouldn't buy a jigsaw or drill for 400+ bucks just because it's festool. However the stuff I do have performs very well and gives me features that make things easier for me, with results I desire. 

I'm sure there are lots of different reasons people have for buying Festool, but here's the one that looms largest for me. So many times when I'm using something (doesn't have to be a tool, could be an electronic device, a car, a website, a kitchen utensil, a broomstick, whatever) I'll think to myself "man, this thing is serviceable, or even pretty good, but if they had just thought about X, it would be perfect" where X is always some small detail that improves the user experience by leaps and bounds. I've only used a few of Festool's tools, but with all of them it was clear they thought about all the little details, and then some. Every aspect of the tool screams "someone thought deeply about this." That really goes a long way for me.

I agree. Very well thought out and amazing quality. I have used most major manufacturers tools and there is a difference in festool quality ( atleast thats what i tell myself ) Another big factor that i dont mind paying double for is the fact that they are made in Grrmany and not taiwan or china. Given the option, within reason, i would always choose to buy products made somewhere that people are paid a decent wage for what they are doing.

I am a pround member of the fescult. Enjoy sipping the green juice on a regular basis.

• Like 1

I agree. Very well thought out and amazing quality. I have used most major manufacturers tools and there is a difference in festool quality ( atleast thats what i tell myself ) Another big factor that i dont mind paying double for is the fact that they are made in Grrmany and not taiwan or china. Given the option, within reason, i would always choose to buy products made somewhere that people are paid a decent wage for what they are doing.

I am a pround member of the fescult. Enjoy sipping the green juice on a regular basis.

I agree. My Bosch drill is Swiss made and I remember paying twice the price of a Taiwanese Bosch with similar features. I try to avoid buying Chinese/Taiwanese stuff when there's a suitable alternative.

Back to Festool, their tools' dust collection capabilities are superior and that alone might justify the premium price one has to pay for them.

I agree. My Bosch drill is Swiss made and I remember paying twice the price of a Taiwanese Bosch with similar features. I try to avoid buying Chinese/Taiwanese stuff when there's a suitable alternative.

Back to Festool, their tool's dust collection capabilities are superior and that alone might justify the premium price one has to pay for them.

for dust collection. I just flush trimmed a 3/4" mdf top and bottom to my new torsion box outfeed/assembly table. I have used many routers and never seen one perform like that. It literally ate up 100% of the dust. If you have ever flush trimmed mdf before you know its a terribly messy job. Ct vac combo with most festools is hard to beat on this front.

As a very serious hobbyist, I have to justify my tool purchases. When I first discovered Festool, I purchased a CT22 and Rotex 125 because of the polishing aspect. I used it to sand and buff out guitars before I found a shop with a guitar buffer. I was amazed at the dust extraction! I worked in a high-end cabinet shop in Phoenix and the shop would be a cloud of dust when we sanded. The owner didn't want to hassle with the expense and hoses trailing around the shop (I couldn't understand why after using mine)

I later purchased the ETS 125 sander and then a CSX drill (I couldn't justify $535 for a drill set), and got a deal on an older T12 +3. I bring my Festool drills into work sometimes and my coworkers are amazed at the ease and versatility of the interchangeable heads (the reason I bring them in).  

I want to get back into making furniture and a Domino is on my wish list, but $1200~ is a big jump up in price for my Festool desires.

By the way, back many years ago, there was another green German on the market that I gravitated towards...

Metabo.jpg

I only have one Festool tool, a Domino...   I'm very happy with it.   I've had the opportunity to touch and closely examine most of their other USA market tools, and all are extremely well made, and have a very high-quality feel.  I'm not saying all are guaranteed best in class, but I've not seen any junk.

Doesn't the fact that it's "first-world" manufactured say tons about the price?   

Maybe Festool needs to sponsor NASCAR?

The Domino is about 10 years old and patents last 20 years.  If you've held out this long you're half way there to paying half as much.

Personally I haven't been that impressed with the Festool sanders I have.  For example on the Rotex the switch to take it in and out of Rotary mode gets stuck if I use it for more than 5 minutes and have to wait for it to cool down before it will work again.  Everything on the things takes like three months of constant use to break in and actually work easily, like power switches or the plugging in of the cord I imagine.  It's a neat concept to be able to just swap in one cord but I don't want to fight with the thing for hours just to get it to actually start being easy to do.  I figured the switch on the Rotex that doesn't work right was like that and just needed to break in but it doesn't seem to be that way.

The Domino is about 10 years old and patents last 20 years.  If you've held out this long you're half way there to paying half as much.

Personally I haven't been that impressed with the Festool sanders I have.  For example on the Rotex the switch to take it in and out of Rotary mode gets stuck if I use it for more than 5 minutes and have to wait for it to cool down before it will work again.  Everything on the things takes like three months of constant use to break in and actually work easily, like power switches or the plugging in of the cord I imagine.  It's a neat concept to be able to just swap in one cord but I don't want to fight with the thing for hours just to get it to actually start being easy to do.  I figured the switch on the Rotex that doesn't work right was like that and just needed to break in but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Have you contacted Festool for warranty service?

I've had my Rotex since 2005 and have never had the problems as you describe. When switching between sand and polish mode, I have to move the switch and give the pad a twist to lock it in the "mode" but that is how it's always been and always seemed normal to me.