Amateur Hour

N00b-in-training

So... I'm just getting started with Hand Planes and have yet to actually use one more than playing around. Well, today I found a great use for my first productive use. 

The decking under the screen door on our deck has raised, or more likely I miss-hung the door last year when I built the screen porch, and has been catching when you open the door. It seems significant enough that it would take a ton of work to sand it down so I turned to my newly purchased low jack plane. Things were going great and chips were flying. Then came the last few passes.... I got low enough that I found a few nails. 

Off to the sharpening station, in build, to get ride of the nicks in the blade. #amateurhour

post-14998-0-39663000-1427800498_thumb.j

At least you broke the seal, so to speak. I had mine several weeks, and like you, I piddled with it, nothing productive. Then, like you, I needed to remove more wood than a pack of sandpaper could provide. Now I go to it more than I ever would have imagined. And after halfway learning to put an edge on it, that thing is darn fun to use!

• Like 1

So... I'm just getting started with Hand Planes and have yet to actually use one more than playing around. Well, today I found a great use for my first productive use. 

Me too...I would also include chisels and hand saws.  One of the reasons I am building a Roubo is for woodworking with hand tools.

Things were going great and chips were flying. Then came the last few passes.... I got low enough that I found a few nails.

A metal detector is a much better way to find the nails, screws, or other metal objects.

Here's an inexpensive one that works quite well.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/littlewizardiimetaldetector.aspx

I use a strong ball shaped magnet, roll it over a board or wall and it stops over every nail or screw. K&J magnetics has a good selection, I use a 5/8 sphere N52 magnet.

I have searched the K&J magnetics web site and the only 5/8 sphere magnet I can find is N42.  Please post a link or confirm yours are N42.  I would like to give these a try.  Thanks.

Maybe it is n42. I was shooting from the hip ! If you have plaster walls the 3/4" ball magnet is strong enough to find the lath nails through the plaster. I have a 1" ball magnet but if it's in your pocket you will stick to car doors and Tablesaw rails, so I quit carrying it with me!

I also use a cylinder magnet over the round shank screwdriver bits with my cordless drill.

The screwdriver bits I use have a round smooth shank, some are 3 or 4 inches long. I bought a cylinder magnet with the internal diameter to fit over the bit. When I put a screw on the bit I can slide the magnet up to the screw and it holds it in place firmly. This works well with Kreg screws in odd positions.

Lots of the screwdriver bits these days are hex shanked the full length. I prefer the round shanks and buy several when I find them.

I use lots of square drive or combo drive screws.

Ok, makes sense now. I was thinking of a cylinder magnet as being solid but I guess most cylinders are hollow inside. I could just see you sticking the magnet to the outside of your bit and it trying to hold on as it spun around.