Getting over the hump

Brendon_t

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels like this but it feels to me that toward the end of the project, I start dreading the finishing steps. I've never made any secret that I absolutely Hate finishing. I love the design process, I love building, I don't even mind sanding. I just can't seem to get over my apprehension when it comes to finishing. I often get to the end of a project and it will sit for weeks until I need the space and am forced to finish it.

I've made it a personal goal of mine to get the hell over it.

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue?

Yes but it's the sanding that does it to me.  Finishing I kind of like...at least the first coat, because that's when the project comes to life and you get a good look at the wood for the first time.

"The only way through it is through it." -Jackson Browne

Yup. I said something to this effect in my build journal. When I get to the stage where all the building is done and the finish line is in sight but there are a million little tedious details to be done, plus sanding and finishing, it's by far my least favorite part of the project

I love finishing. :D

But a common complaint I hear a lot about men is that they are not "finishers." Maybe this is what that means?

miw

Easy for you young guys to say!

Brendon, as fast as you go thru projects, you barely get started and you're finished. I don't know how you pump em out that quickly!

I'm with Eric on the sanding. Most tedious part of any project. I now understand WHY there are so many types of powered sanding tools out there....wide belt, drum, stroke, oscillating spindle, belt, disk, strip, ros, half-sheet, quarter sheet, and that new thingy from arbor-tech...NOBODY wants to do this by hand!

• Like 1

Easy for you young guys to say!

Brendon, as fast as you go thru projects, you barely get started and you're finished. I don't know how you pump em out that quickly!

Lately I've had a bunch of shop time. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and went out on 1 month leave.. First 3days were cool. Once I was caught up on netflix, I started going crazy and found myself hobbling out into the garage.

Lately I've had a bunch of shop time. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and went out on 1 month leave.. First 3days were cool. Once I was caught up on netflix, I started going crazy and found myself hobbling out into the garage.

Hobbling?  What kind of surgery? I'm going in for surgery a week from tomorrow, and I'm hobbling before the knife, thats why I'm having it done, or it's a wheelchair for me.

I like all aspects of woodworking - including finishing. The trick is practice, practice and practice some more. It's not the end of the world if you have runs or drips as you can sand them off and do it again. Try wipe on varnishes like Arm R Seal first of all. Shellac is your friend too. Put a coat of that on before you even touch varnish and create a sealer coat over which most finishes will adhere to.

Don't forget to lightly sand between coats with increasing grits and you will end up with really smooth the the touch finishes. People always feel furniture (especially table tops) and then pass comment.

It helps if you practice with a rag/brush/spray gun, without actually applying the products your about to use. Like in golf, you use your minds eye to vision the shot before you hit.

Work out your stop/start points. Even on large pieces, think about where you're going to  place your wet pieces to dry, then how your going to move fresh pieces over to finish. Sometimes in the heat of battle if things don't work out. At least you wont freak out because you rehearsed.

I CANT STRESS ENOUGH, IF THINGS AREN'T GOING WELL WHEN FINISHING, STOP! Figure out whats going and and make a correction. I have seen too many projects wrecked when folks keep pushing on.

Also, use TEST BOARDS............ think of it as, you really don't know what the Woman is like... till you go on a few dates. :wacko:    

-Ace-

I've only ever used two finishing techniques. Wipe on/wipe off varnish finish and wipe on let dry poly. Both just feel tediously boring to me.

I do enjoy watching the wood transformation occur, especially with figured wood but after the first coat, I'm totally over it.

Maybe a spray unit would give the warm and fuzzy feeling.

The outside measurements of the drawers are 10" x 8" I divided mine up into 25 sections per drawer for 3 drawers because I only intend to use them for cuff links. The lower drawer has 3 watch areas and sold longer areas for collar stays and tie bars.

I never thought about the weight being an issue but once I loaded the first couple drawers, I realized they were getting dang heavy. The cabinet hasn't moved a bit. It takes all of the weight and still looks great.