Powermatic 54

mrrhode04

My view goes a bit against the grain on this one.  $650 for a used 15 year old 6" Taiwanese jointer with no warranty is a bit steep IMO.  It is in nice shape, and I'm sure it's a good machine if it checks out, but I wouldn't pay the premium for the nameplate or color in this case.  It's just too similar to the Grizzly, Jet, Bridgewood, Sunhill, and Woodtek of the same era, that all came from the same Geetech factory.

IMG485_md.jpgm679350.jpg g1182z.jpgf1046a.JPG

I do not disagree with it being very similar to other ones that were made in the same era, but I am not asking if I should choose one of the four that are shown above. There isn't four different ones on Craigslist that I can choose from. I am simply asking if this one jointer would be a good deal or should I wait to see if something else comes up.

These are the only other ones posted in my area in the last week:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/tls/4961361047.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/tls/4960550812.html

I understand what he is saying, I am simply asking if people think it could be worth a consideration. I am in the market for a new jointer because the one that my grandpa gave me doesn't work right. This will be the first jointer I buy and I want to one that will last a good amount of years. I not really fall in to the brand thing, I want something that is worth the money and will last a while. Half of my shop is super old Shop Master tools.

I think it's definitely worth consideration.  Looks very clean.  See if the mobile base is included, and bring a straightedge to see if each table is flat, and how coplanar the tables are.  That's a dovetail-way design, and if the tables are out of alignment it can be tough to adjust.  Ask to run some boards over it - assume you'll need to sharpen the knives, but look for smooth motor, no vibration, etc.

As for the price - sounds like you're doing your homework on what's out there, and what your budget is.  I'm not one for haggling but I'd explain that a 15 year old machine with no warranty does bring the price down a little. 650 looks a little higher than what some 54's are listed for on CL, but this one looks a lot cleaner and if a mobile base is of use to you, consider that as well.

if you don't "need" the mobile base, then meh.

As for the unit - if it's close, can't hurt to check it out.  I'm sure the PM is a great machine, but just keep in mind that you can get a brand new Grizzly for less (http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base-Polar-Bear-Series/G0452P).  I'd say go check it out and then only you can decide if it's right for you.  Hope you have a a way to transport it.

If budget is not an issue, give me time and I'll talk you up to an 8" jointer with segmented head :)

I do not disagree with it being very similar to other ones that were made in the same era, but I am not asking if I should choose one of the four that are shown above. There isn't four different ones on Craigslist that I can choose from. I am simply asking if this one jointer would be a good deal or should I wait to see if something else comes up.

These are the only other ones posted in my area in the last week:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/tls/4961361047.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/tls/4960550812.html

It wasn't my intention that you choose one of the 4 machines I showed...those were just examples of very similar machines that sell for much less than the PM, which supports my view that this PM54 is priced too high.  Powermatic makes some great machines, some of which can be worth a premium...the condition is worth some extra, but I'm not seeing $650 value in this particular case.  It is worth considering if a 6" jointer suits your needs, but I'd be at $400-$500 tops for that PM54.  The Ridgid you linked to is also overpriced @ $400 IMO, but is also reasonably similar to the PM, and would be a nice bargain at closer to $300.  For $650, I'd be looking for a new Grizzly, or a used 8"...I'd consider making a $450-$500 offer on this Dayton, which has a very similar design as the others that rolled out of the Geetech factory.

Thanks Scott that is what I was looking for was some input on if it is a good deal or not. I have zero experience on buying a used jointer. I wonder if that Dayton is still available it was post 2 months ago. It seems that a lot of folks don't think that jointer is worth the asking price.

If I was going to look in to a Grizzly (which I have thought about) what would be a good recommendation? I know a lot of people say 8" is better and get a parallelogram. If you couldn't have both options which would you choose?

It's a preference thing really...everyone's different.  More capacity is my preference if I had the space. Parallelogram is a more elegant design IMO, but I would choose an 8" dovetail design over a 6" parallelogram if my budget didn't allow for an 8" parallelogram jointer.   6" works out fine most of the time, but there are a lot of rough sawn boards that fall between 6" and 8".

Grizzly just happens to have a nifty video on their jointers. http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654 

• 3 weeks later...