why in the heck. .

Brendon_t

Are old planes so darn pretty when cleaned up? I've been trolling ebay for a while now and just bidding to my hearts desire.

I see these dusty, rusty, cracked handle, paint chipped planes and see myself ShaVing in the reflection with a straight razor. Luckily I haven't won any since I know I bid too high for what they are worth as used told vs to a collector. Still looking for a nice router plane to restore. .

Is there a 12 step for this?

I have always had my eye open for old tools , 40+ years now. I only buy something with no cracks or missing parts that I can clean up and sharpen it for use. I will offer a fair price for the tool, not an antique or collectors price. Usually get turned down but slow and steady wins the race.

I picked up a Stanley 71 for $19, a little cleaning, a lot of sharpening and it's as good as new.... I like ebay, but only in the middle of the week!   And there's no 12 step program for this, once hooked, your hooked for life!

Dang that's a good price. I was looking at them last night and $80-135 is about the going rate it seemed.

I think that Richard speaks the truth regarding bidding middle of the week. I have bought several off Ebay over the years, and most of the time when I win it is on Wednesday or Thursday. I just picked up a Stanley/Bailey #6C in very nice condition for $26.00 on a Wednesday. Cleaned up surface rust and sealed the plane with T-9. 4 coats of Shellac for the tote and knob. Reground the iron and honed it to a 30 degree bevel and It makes nice thin curls. 

i am fortunate as i Ihave my father's old tools to restore.  they have been sitting in his barn untouched for 13 years.  I have slowly been bringing them home. 

also cool is i have old medical books from the late 1800s.  they were given to me by an old doctor whose father was given them by an old doctor. i almost never touch them as the bindings are so frail.

I restored two old planes, and then I sold them to help fund buying new veritas models. Both were old stanley Jack planes - one I bought on kijiji (Canadian Craigslist), and the second I dug out of the metal recycling at the local transfer station.

I enjoyed the process, but I am not in a hurry to do it again. I prefer to use newer version of the tools (like veritas) and I feel my time is better spent working wood. I can see how some people would get really into though.

I have bought 5 iron planes since joining this site, I have restored all to good working order but I have not "polished" any of them.

The most expensive item I have bought was a "Dunlap Model 3701 Low Angle Block Plane NOS 1070-8 5", still in the original package for $36.00

I also bought,

# 81stanley cabinet scraper, pretty old, gave $20.00 for it at a antique shop,

# 4 Jack, Dunlap in nearly unused condition for $12.00 at a flea market,

# 4-1/2 Smoother, record, well used but in working condition with a small stress crack next to the blade opening, WWII era, it has the plastic height adjuster wheel for $35 at a flea market, 

2- # 5 Jack planes, one is a stanley, one is a bluegrass they look identical, the bluegrass seems nearly unused but for what ever reason the stanley tuned up better, I think it is a lot older, I would not have bought the bluegrass, the wife brought it home, I think 30 was given for each.

I too would like to find a decent router plane but I think I will just buy a new one, I have yet to see one used for sale, in the wild

If you decide to buy new, consider the Veritas L/A jack plane. It is a very versatile plane that is near perfectly flat. Mine is .0005 of being perfectly flat. Buy an extra iron so you can change out the irons depending on the task. One honed a 25 degrees and one at 30-35 degrees. Also, the Veritas L/A smoother is a nice smoothing plane and works very well shooting miters. Just need to keep in mind that both are bevel up planes and they feel different than a standard bevel down plane. However once you have them tuned properly both will shave paper thin curls for you.  

If you decide to buy new, consider the Veritas L/A jack plane. It is a very versatile plane that is near perfectly flat. Mine is .0005 of being perfectly flat. Buy an extra iron so you can change out the irons depending on the task. One honed a 25 degrees and one at 30-35 degrees. Also, the Veritas L/A smoother is a nice smoothing plane and works very well shooting miters. Just need to keep in mind that both are bevel up planes and they feel different than a standard bevel down plane. However once you have them tuned properly both will shave paper thin curls for you.

that was talking about router planes....