Shop Size

Llama

As the time gets closer for me to finally build my new shop, I am doing more research on what I should be considering. Also, what amenities do you like in your shop, or wish you had?

I am aiming for something in the 32x32 size range with running water and possibly a bathroom. What are your thoughts on this? My plan is to have this as the main shop with an area designated for finishing. I will eventually have an out building for lumber storage that is not being used on the current project. However, I would be storing commonly used materials in the main shop.

What else should I be considering?

I'd have the typical overhead double garage door, with a regular man door. That way if we do ever sell the place at some point, it can be used as a garage/workspace for something other than woodworking. Keeping it versatile is important. 

That sounds like a massive shop. If I had my dream shop, i would have a designated spray/finishing area, plenty of lumber storage in the same building. Plugs EVERYWHERE, plenty of dc drops including some all the way to the floor for sweeping pickups. I would also have a door big enough to back the truck/trailer into for loading/ unloading lumber or projects.

A slop sink would be nice for washing glue rags, nozzles etc. I wouldn't really want a bathroom in the shop otherwise I'd never leave.

You didn't mention your ceiling height so I'd suggest at least 10 foot ceilings. It's pretty nice to be able to pick up an 8 foot long board and not worry too much about smashing out an overhead light. I'd also recommend a sink to wash. Maybe have room for a fridge. I bought a central air unit for my shop to keep it cool in summer and warm in winter. +1 on plenty of outlets. I have one outlet in the floor for my table saw and the other 220 machines have drop plugs from the ceiling.

• Like 1

Great suggestions! 

I would prefer a barn door, have to wait and see how the house looks and if it makes sense to do it that way from a design perspective.

We don't know which state we will be in when this happens, but I'm sure I'll need some sort of heat and a/c.

It sounds like a lot of space, but I know I'll fill it up with stuff, and projects. The goal is to be able to work on multiple projects at the same time, and have the space to work comfortably. Maybe have a helper at some point in the future depending on how far I am able to take this. Just planning for every situation... This next house is our dream house, and I don't see us moving from there unless it's in a box. ;)

It’s funny; some items come-up in every thread – high-ceilings, windows, lots of outlets, etc, etc… However, what I rarely see mentioned is a dedicated finishing space… If you build a 1Ksqft box, add a bump-out at the back for finishing: should include a big slop sink, a bench to mix finishes, a metal safety cabinet, enough lighting to get a suntan and a built-in exhaust fan…

• Like 2

What are you looking at for a heating system? Any air conditioning? Will there be any focus on allowing natural light, or more overhead lighting? These would definitely be on my shop list.

I'd  consider "inside" lumber storage. Having to deal with going out in the winter to bring in boards or sheet goods would be a drag.  a small wall section can hold a lot of lumber on racks or stored vertically. Sheet goods would take up more space but an interior wall could provide space to conceal lumber storage, dust collector, etc, and still give you lots of wall space.

• Like 1

Great suggestions!

I would prefer a barn door, have to wait and see how the house looks and if it makes sense to do it that way from a design perspective.

We don't know which state we will be in when this happens, but I'm sure I'll need some sort of heat and a/c

You'll be in a state of "euphoria" with a shop that large!

A friend just built a new house and garage/shop. He has two overhead doors in the front and one overhead door in the back. It sure helps with the ventilation in the summer.

I like the idea of 10' ceilings as well.

Are you just dreaming right now Mel or is this in the near future?

• Like 1

I put a 6 foot wide door between my finishing room and shop. Its nice to be able to wheel a large table between the two areas. I also have 2 zone heating and cooling going in those spaces and insulated the wall between so when i dont have a finishing project i can turn down the thermostat in there and save energy.

Something else to consider. If you plan to partition off a finishing room and bathroom, you may want to build it less deep but longer....say 28x36. When you partition off an area you will want to make it wide enough to be useable space. That robs shop space. Making it rectangular rather than square leaves a wider shop...hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

If you're building will be square, I'd suggest splitting the floor into three main zones: storage and prep by the front door, main work and big tools by the back (near the fire extinguishers and med kits), and a finishing room (or at least the hanging curtains a la hospital ERs) along the side and exiting the front door again.  If you don't put the doors to the finishing area wide enough to get the parts/ finished pieces in or out, you get yelled at for constantly cluttering the space.... er... I mean... Work doesn't get completed.  (Yeah, that's what I meant...)

I've been in a garage shop, I've been in a basement shop, and I've been outdoors.  Being able to work year round is a blessing!  Insulate and climate regulate (not the same as climate control).  Light.  Lots of options on light.  Shade.  (Because natural light is great until it's at the wrong angle when you're in "the zone," and don't want to stop just because you can't see any more, or the colors are starting to wash out.)  Small counter space (large enough for beverages, not large enough for tools).  Critter control.  (Don't ask, but trust me on this.)  Fire pit.  (Some scraps just beg for a smoker, others just beg to be put out of misery.)  Photography area.  Nothing fancy, just a cleared out space with a good backdrop or wall you can take a few photos of completed and finished projects.

Space for projects to rest while the glue dries.  (I've got two in the living room.  Not a great option; trust me.)  

One footed access to a sink.  (Just in case.)  Keep the medical supplies by it, as well as an eye wash station.

Tunes.  Because watching finish dry is better when Jimmy Buffet/Lincoln Park/Reba/John Williams/The Cure is playing.

Cardstock invitations to your grand opening.  (Because we all want to drop by eventually.  Some may even congratulate you on this new play space!)

• Like 1

Small sound insulated room to put your dust collector and air compressor in, and some method to cool that room (either with AC piped in or vents outside).  When you are running your wiring, think about running compressed air lines in the wall as well.  windows for natural light.  I'd personally put the lumber storage in the same building, but that's just me.  

• Like 1

An old friend of the family built a 6 bay double depth garage as a shop for his construction company with offices across 1/2 of the back, bathrooms and a kitchen too. The family of 4 lived in it for 3 years while they built the house. When he was done the house was paid for and the company covered the payments on the shop.

As the time gets closer for me to finally build my new shop, I am doing more research on what I should be considering. Also, what amenities do you like in your shop, or wish you had?

I am aiming for something in the 32x32 size range with running water and possibly a bathroom. What are your thoughts on this? My plan is to have this as the main shop with an area designated for finishing. I will eventually have an out building for lumber storage that is not being used on the current project. However, I would be storing commonly used materials in the main shop.

What else should I be considering?

If you have the room and the money I'd seriously consider doubling the length to 64' or at least go for 48'. I helped a friend build one that size(32x64) back in the '80s and working in it was like Heaven on Earth. He had an apartment above with the stairwell dividing it at 16', the short end for joinery and finishing and the other end for the big machines. Talk about room to swing a cat(or a 16' board), he had it in spades!

Bathroom is nice. Separate space for DC and compressor is nice. If it's going to be on a slab consider attic trusses for the roof, you can store lumber above but make sure the trusses are designed for the expected load, it'll be cheaper than a separate building and lumber will stay nice and toasty. If it's going to have a basement that takes care of storage so go with simple W-trusses.

I'm slaving away in a basement shop with 252 sft., I hope you don't mind if I say you suck!  ;) But, like clamps, you can never have enough shop space. Go for it while you have the chance!

Best,

Bill

• Like 1