Man hours?

tomk

I finished my Roubo, and I must say I am very pleased with my decision to use a combination of the soft maple and purpleheart.  Two coats of Danish oil have given it a pleasant matte color.  Love when the oil hits the purpleheart.  My neighbor asked me how long it took to make it (one of the first questions most people ask), and I told him that the project lasted 6 months.  That's not the actually man hours of labor, though, and I am trying to get a good estimate.  I should have logged in the actual labor time.  So, my best estimate is just a bit over 120 hours.  Does anyone have a more precise estimate of the amount of hands on time it took to make their bench?  just curious.

Impossible to say since everyone works at a different pace.  I built mine over the course of a summer.  I'd guess 100 hours, perhaps closer to your 120.  But I work slowly and methodically...I could probably knock it out in half that time if I really wanted, but I prefer to take my time, enjoy myself, and make sure it's done right without stupid mistakes.

• Like 1

I've never built the Roubo (one day...) but people always ask me how many hours in my projects.  One day I should track one of them.  I find it really hard to estimate given my work schedule in the shop.  Like I rarely get long uninterrupted sessions - usually it's a half hour or an hour here and there.  Would be easier to track if I were there 8 hours a day (would probably be more efficient too, less transitioning between tasks, etc.)  

• Like 1

I am currently building my Roubo, so I really can't provide an answer.  I believe that very few have accurately tracked their hours.

Greenaqua is currently building his Roubo, keeping a journal, and tracking his hours.  Here's a link to his journal.

I finished my Roubo, and I must say I am very pleased with my decision to use a combination of the soft maple and purpleheart.  Two coats of Danish oil have given it a pleasant matte color.  Love when the oil hits the purpleheart. 

We would love to see some pictures.

• Like 1

Yes to pictures. It's hard to estimate because everyone has different tools as well as work methods. I mostly built along with Mark and would estimate somewhere between 80-100 hours. I was lucky that my boards didn't need a lot of work before glue up (I used the skip planning Marc describes).

• Like 1

The pics are great...Iphone pics are fine. Professional photos are not required.

But you gotta admit that when you say something like:

.....  Two coats of Danish oil have given it a pleasant matte color.  Love when the oil hits the purpleheart.....

And you then show a photo, it has a very dramatic effect.

post-16665-0-31746300-1428527035.jpg

Thanks for posting and thanks for sharing.

Regards,

FtrPilot

• Like 1

I must say that your bench is fabulous! In fact, one of the best I've ever laid eyes on! Beautiful. How do you stand to do any work on it?  :)

In fact I'm almost ready to start my bench (this summer, have already acquired the tail vise). Your build is an inspiration.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your positive comments.

For those of you who might like to use purple heart, be prepared to spend some time after work searching for and picking out of your hands or fingers the tiny needle splinters that are a routine by-product of working with this beautiful wood.  I am used to it and don't mind the sacrifice.  I use fingerless leather gloves when I work on any wood, but it's amazing how the splinters can still manage to find their way into finger tips or under the edge of the gloves.  Has anyone had experience with any type of full hand gloves that cling well enough to your fingers to be used in woodworking (and are strong enough to not be penetrated by splinters)?

Tom, I sometimes use 9 mil nitrile gloves ( http://m.harborfreight.com/household/gloves/9-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-50-pc-large-68511.html) for protection when I need maximum dexterity, but my hands sweat in them terribly. Next best thing I've tried are these :

http://m.harborfreight.com/household/gloves/latex-coated-work-gloves-large-61435.html

Sized for a snug fit, they allow reasonably fine dexterity, offer a bit of padding, and breathe well enough to avoid sweating in most conditions.

• Like 1

You’d have to normalize to a design and toolset…

After all, someone who built entirely with hand tools, square dogs, drawer-bored base, sliding-tenon top/base joinery, etc is going to have a different experience from someone with a 16” jointer, 24” planer, round dogs, break-down base and M/T top joinery… The former could be hundreds of hours while the latter could be a long weekend…

Maybe ask in the Guild forum for those who followed-along with Marc and have a similar toolset… Or eMail Benchcrafted – bet they have a better handle on time investment…