How I post pictures

FtrPilot

When I start a new topic, or reply to an existing topic and I am including pictures, I prefer to have the pictures display within the post and not just as thumbnails.  For example, here are a couple of fish I caught up in Wisconsin on the Brule river:

Here's a Brown Trout:
post-17084-0-80912800-1428590080.jpg

And here's a Steelhead:
post-17084-0-92681600-1428590097.jpg

So the reader can read my comments and view my pictures at the same time. If using thumbnails, the reader has to click on the thumbnails...then the text goes dark. Depending on the size of the image, the reader may have to use slider bars to see all of the image...then click next, prev, or close.

Here's the same pictures as thumbnails.
post-17084-0-80912800-1428590080_thumb.j

post-17084-0-92681600-1428590097_thumb.j

Quite a few forum members know how to display the pictures within the post.

For those who want to learn how...here's how I post the pictures.

First, I shrink the image so it is 800 pixels wide for landscape or 800 pixels tall for portrait.  I also rename the pictures to something logical and easy to remember like BrownTrout.jpg or SteelHead.jpg. To do this, I use Photoshop. However, if you don't have Photoshop, you can use Windows Photo Viewer, Paint, or Powerpoint.

Then I attach the files to the post, which attaches them as thumbnails.  

To get the pictures to display, you first have to Post your new topic or reply. Then you have to view the page source, which displays in a new window. Then you have to locate your picture within the source...to do that, click on Edit -> Find (Ctrl - F). Type in the name of the jpg...in this case,  BrownTrout.

Here's a screen grab of what you are looking for.  If I were to type it into the body of the post, it would show as a link.
post-17084-0-82754000-1428590915.jpg

Highlight the image location as I have done in the picture below. Then right click and copy into the clipboard.

post-17084-0-80026200-1428590939.jpg

Then Edit your post.  At the location you want the picture to display, you have to type in:

[img]http://www.woodtalkonline.com/uploads/monthly_04_2015/post-17084-0-92550200-1428591405.jpg[/img]

If you have questions or need further help, you can ask in this thread or send me a PM.

Edit note: I have updated this to include some of the suggestions below.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
FtrPilot

post-17084-0-82754000-1428590915_thumb.j

post-17084-0-80026200-1428590939_thumb.j

• Like 1

FYI, an easier way to do it is to upload the pictures to a (free) photobucket account, which will give you a direct link to each photo, which you then copy and paste into the "image" link in the editor box :)

(Also, it could just be me, but I can't see any of the pictures in that post except the thumbnails - I'm using chrome on Windows 7).

• Like 2

Pilot, to obtain the image URL you don't need to look at the source of the page.

Just click in the thumbnail and then click the "save" button. The image will open on a new tab and you can just copy the URL.

Also if you want to include some BB code for others to see, you can use the CODE tag, i.e. :

[img=http://www.woodtalkonline.com/uploads/monthly_04_2015/post-17084-0-80912800-1428590080.jpg]
This is what I typed (in BBCode Mode):

[code] 
[img=http://www.woodtalkonline.com/uploads/monthly_04_2015/post-17084-0-80912800-1428590080.jpg]
[/code]
  • Like 1

The problem with free external image servers is that, sooner or later, a "bandwidth exceeded" message will be displayed instead of the original image.

No bandwidth limitations with postimage.

Postimage.org was founded in 2004 to provide forums with an easy way to upload images for free. Postimage is a very simple, fast, reliable free image host. It's perfect for linking to auctions, message boards, blogs, and other websites. Postimage guarantees maximum uptime and performance so your image will be here whenever you need it. There is no registration or login, all you have to do is submit your picture. With continuous upgrades and dedicated staff Postimage is the #1 solution for Free Image Hosting.

No bandwidth limitations with postimage.

Postimage.org was founded in 2004 to provide forums with an easy way to upload images for free. Postimage is a very simple, fast, reliable free image host. It's perfect for linking to auctions, message boards, blogs, and other websites. Postimage guarantees maximum uptime and performance so your image will be here whenever you need it. There is no registration or login, all you have to do is submit your picture. With continuous upgrades and dedicated staff Postimage is the #1 solution for Free Image Hosting.

No unlimited bandwidth statement there. I don't know about their business model, they don't seem to have one... for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. Not to be contrarian, as a user I prefer the small thumbnails. The big images take up half my screen, slow my load time, and really play havoc if I want to include the original post in my reply. If it is just one picture it is fine, but if including multiple photos in a post i thhink the thumbnails are better.

Thanks for the tip. Not to be contrarian, as a user I prefer the small thumbnails. The big images take up half my screen, slow my load time, and really play havoc if I want to include the original post in my reply. If it is just one picture it is fine, but if including multiple photos in a post i thhink the thumbnails are better.

Large jpegs are an irritant, whether loaded as thumbnails, or embedded in the page, which is why I included the part about resizing the jpegs. 

If you include the original post in your reply, you can delete the picture within the quote....just highlight the pic and hit the delete key.

To complicated for me. I pull my pics and load them, If it bothers someone to lose the typed content when they view my pics.... Simple, read it then click on the thumbnails. Or don't waste your time trying to see what I'm showing!

It is complicated.  But I learned some shortcuts from some of the responses.

I am not trying to dictate how people should construct their posts.  I titled the thread accordingly.  I appreciate your comments.

I'm pretty sure I can make a few changes that will cause the thumbnails to post automatically at a larger size. From what I can tell, the system can either work as it does now where you have to jump through hoops to get the full size image, OR I can set the size of the thumbnail to be larger. But if someone truly wanted thumbnails, they wouldn't be able to get them.

If enough people want this change, I can try to make it happen.

• Like 1

For Admin:  I blog on several web sites, and this is by far the best (user friendly) and great people.  Personally, I think picture posting should stay the way it is.  Those who want to post as thumbnails can, those who want to display pictures full size within the body can, those who want to use external aps can, and those who want to use external sites can.

For all:  Thanks for the comments...I have learned some shortcuts and I appreciate the feedback.

One complaint:  Are there no fishermen on this web site?  I post pictures of 2 of the prettiest fish I have ever caught, and nobody mentions them.  Sheesh.