Block Plane Which One?

Tom Cancelleri

Which Block Plane  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Time to buy some higher end hand tools. Which block plane would you get as your main plane?

• Lie Nielsen - Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane?
    • Lie Nielsen - Standard Adjustable Mouth Block Plane?
    • Veritas - Low Angle Block Plane
    • Veritas - Standard Block Plane
    • Veritas - Skew Block Plane
    • Lie Nielsen - Skew Block Plane

I went with the low angle block, not knowing if you already have a block plane or not.

The first one to buy, I think, is not on the list. If I was to have only one, it would be the rabbit block plane from Lie-Nielsen. Get so much more out of the purchase. 

If you want it for endgrain low angle is the way to go.  You can always put a higher angle on the iron (or a second iron) if you decide you want it as a small smoother, but you can't grind down the angle on the plane.

I like having a non-skew blade for ease of sharpening, and you can almost always just skew the plane.

The difference between Lie-Nielsen and Veritas is going to be personal preference.  I have the Veritas block plane, and the LN rabbet block and there is no difference in quality, pick which ever one feels right in your hand. the LN being narrower, the Veritas maybe a little heavier.

Between and regular and rabbet I would choose the regular for the adjustable mouth, and it feels better in hand for long use.

The poll omits 5 block planes: the Veritas NX60, DX60 and Apron plane, and the LIe Nielsen #102 and #103

Ignoring the NX60 on the basis of cost (although it is one of THE classic pieces of working art available), the choice between the DX 60 and LN 60 1/2 comes down to either the better plane (Veritas DX60) or the slightly cheaper option (LN 60 1/2). Both planes work as well as each other, but the ergonomics and adjustability of the Veritas carries the day. Plus they have a wider choice of blade steels, and the PM steel IS worth getting.

A small block plane is extremely handy. I have a LN #103, which is the standard angle. It is a fabulous little plane for breaking edges and chamfering. I just prefer the heft of the bronze LN and its feel over the Veritas Apron.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

I’d add the 102 and 103 – these are my go-to block planes… Which one do I go-to? Who cares – in my shop, it doesn’t matter…

The selection process goes something like this:

Need a block plane? Yes. Is one already on the bench? No. Near the bench? No. Anywhere within five feet? No.... Sigh heavily and walk to the plane till and grab the first apron plane you see… Doesn’t matter which one… Examine the irons irons until you find one that looks sharp… If it doesn’t work well, curse softly once and return to till to grab next apron plane… Examine edge more closely this time – looks good, use that one… If it doesn’t work well, stare at the plane as if it's somehow let you down --- and swear ominously… Return to till and grab first adjustable mouth or wooden body that looks like it hasn’t been used in a month or three… Try that one… Keep going until you break-down and pull the waterstones from the pond and have at it…

I like apron planes because they are simple and light. The 102/3 are used more than any other plane in the shop (although the LN/LA smoother is coming-up fast)… Notice I say 102/3 – I don’t think it really matters which one – as long as one of them is sharp…

I like Ron Hock’s kits because they are light, simple and have great irons (get the O1 if it’s still available – a lot of the new age steel talk is Marketing BS --- unless you work desert hard woods (think Mesquite or just about any species from Western Australia)…

I go to the heavier block planes when I am specifically trimming end grain in a hard species and need a tight mouth…

• Like 1

I went with the low angle block, not knowing if you already have a block plane or not.

The first one to buy, I think, is not on the list. If I was to have only one, it would be the rabbit block plane from Lie-Nielsen. Get so much more out of the purchase.

Totally agreed.

My Veritas low angle has an adjustable mouth. Sweetest block plane I have ever used. I have gone through quite a few over the years. I still keep some of the survivors sharp for jobsite work. One lives in my tool bucket, but the Veritas has a handy spot in the shop and it's been a joy to use. I got the MK II jig and the PM11 blade with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your input. After doing some more research and reading review after review and watching video after video, it seems to be 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. Both the Veritas and LN planes rated very highly and seemed pretty much interchangeable. I did however read rave reviews about the DX60, in both comfort and performance. I thought it was a standard block plane which is why I hadn't put it in the poll. I wound up ordering it yesterday.

It's also really badass looking.

210922_inset3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks all for your input. After doing some more research and reading review after review and watching video after video, it seems to be 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. Both the Veritas and LN planes rated very highly and seemed pretty much interchangeable. I did however read rave reviews about the DX60, in both comfort and performance. I thought it was a standard block plane which is why I hadn't put it in the poll. I wound up ordering it yesterday.

210922_inset3.jpg

I just received the dx60 with the pmv11 blade on friday. Haven't had a chance to use it this weekend but it really is a beauty and feels great in hand. I hope the steep price is worth it.

• Like 1

210922_inset3.jpg

I have both the DX and the NX, and it is the DX that lives above my bench.

Regards from Perth

Derek