First Table Saw

djliegel

Hey Folks,

I'm new to the forum and woodworking. My "workshop" is in my basement and I would like to add a table saw, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I neither have the space or the skill to warrent a large scale cabinet saw. I didn't know if I should be looking at a portable or stationary. I am assuming a stationary would make better and truer cuts? I don't want to spend the money on a cheap model and have to buy a new saw in the coming years. I want something that will last.

Thanks for any advice!

I've read good things about the delta 36-275, it's mentioned several times in the other tablesaw thread. I personally have a porter cable TS270 from lowes, it's the same saw Steve Ramsey has, it's a decent saw once it is tuned up but it does have a couple oddly designed parts I'm not crazy about. It seems like the higher end contractor saw like either of those with the built in mobile base would suit you well, just don't let your assumption of your skill level talk you into buying something that will hold you back.

Sometimes there's a problem with low end saws....they don't hold adjustments or literally can't be fine tuned enough.  Mix that with your inexperience and suddenly you're questioning and doubting yourself for no good reason.There are some lower priced saws from HD or Lowes that are ok and there are lots of used contractor saws on Craig's list that are ok too...saws that were not necessarily used in high volume situations like a contractor or professional shop would.  Many there are ok.  You could go either route and get your feet wet and then you'll know which way to go. Wait..........it's djliegel's first post....que the music.....drop the confetti.....everybody toe tap....booty shake....old men [like me] blubber shake......welcome!  Good place to hang out.

• Like 1

$500 gets you a lot of options in both the new and the used market.  Some here swear BY their Rigid, some swear AT their Rigid table saw.  Maybe these folks can jump in. I've checked it out as good as you can in the store and it seems like a good saw....again, the owners are better spokesmen.

I get onto the forum in the mornings and a little bit at work during the week.  A lot of these guys seem to wake up and do other things Sat & Sun mornings and log on in the afternoon or evening AND......they're on the forum a lot during the week.....during the workday!!! :) Some are self employed and they CLAIM they're on the forum when the glue is drying or they're on the toilet......maybe :P  but someone will jump in soon. I'm a little useless here....I used a Craftsman table saw that was a 70s model until it crapped out and then bought a grizzly cabinet saw (1023RLWX).....now if you want to spend $1200ish....me gots a good recommendation for you without getting talked into the $2000+ market where things get painted yellow......

$500 gets you a lot of options in both the new and the used market. Some here swear BY their Rigid, some swear AT their Rigid table saw. Maybe these folks can jump in. I've checked it out as good as you can in the store and it seems like a good saw....again, the owners are better spokesmen.

I get onto the forum in the mornings and a little bit at work during the week. A lot of these guys seem to wake up and do other things Sat & Sun mornings and log on in the afternoon or evening AND......they're on the forum a lot during the week.....during the workday!!! :) Some are self employed and they CLAIM they're on the forum when the glue is drying or they're on the toilet......maybe :P but someone will jump in soon. I'm a little useless here....I used a Craftsman table saw that was a 70s model until it crapped out and then bought a grizzly cabinet saw (1023RLWX).....now if you want to spend $1200ish....me gots a good recommendation for you without getting talked into the $2000+ market where things get painted yellow......

thats my favorite color... Of course that yellow paint is to rich for my weekend warrior status :)

My Doctor and I recently had a two day discussion about table saws, his thought was to go with delta/ridged.. And after considerable discussion, he and I settled on Grizzly's hybrid saw... He chose G0715p for $825, while I had suggested the G0771 at $675.  My main reasoning was dust collection, it was my prescription to him, since he prescribes for me, way more often than I like.  However, the resale value and customer service, is excellent  His choice was better [but he can afford it], for the fence and overall better built machine.  And yesterday, he told me that  he's very happy with the idea that I wanted him to have dust collection.... Contractor saws are okay for getting a job done outdoors, where dust collection is not paramount, but indoors, dust collection [if you're young, and want to live long]  is the most important thing you can have for any machine that cuts wood!    Oh, and one more thing....Welcome, you'll get a lot of advise here, and it all comes from knowledge, "you" have to choose what works for you!

I'll count as one who swears BY my Ridgid contractor saw, but mine is an older one. I hear the newer ones are still pretty good. Definitely try to get something with a cast iron top, rather than a benchtop saw made of plastic and aluminim.

RichardA has a great point about dust collection, though. The typical contractor saw has too many openings in the housing for DC to work very well, so be prepared to take extra steps, especially in a basement workshop.

If you can tell us more about your workspace, perhaps we can offer options on bow to deal with the dust, as well.

It is a poured unfinished basement. We use it primarily for storage for things we never use and can't bring ourselves to throw out. I use 70 square feet for the my workshop, but I could take more space if I need it. I haven't done any research for dust collection. Do I need access to the outside for one or would everything be contained in the basement? Lastly, would the rigid r4512 be considered a contractor grade or would it be fine for dust collection?

I am impressed with the outpouring of support. I appreciate all the advice and insight you gentlemen are offering.

It is a poured unfinished basement. We use it primarily for storage for things we never use and can't bring ourselves to throw out. I use 70 square feet for the my workshop, but I could take more space if I need it. I haven't done any research for dust collection. Do I need access to the outside for one or would everything be contained in the basement? Lastly, would the rigid r4512 be considered a contractor grade or would it be fine for dust collection?

I am impressed with the outpouring of support. I appreciate all the advice and insight you gentlemen are offering.

it's what I would consider a higher end contractors saw, that meaning to me that it's really to big and heavy to move around from job to job and it works well as a stationary tool, but most have a built in mobile base. Your dust collection from one of these is usually going to be with a 2 1/2" port and a shop vac, which does a pretty good job, the blade normally has a shroud around it to help direct the dust to the port, but it's not as effective as a cabinet that's totally enclosed with a 4" port. If your looking at the rigid or delta saw you might look into the hybrid cabinet saws, usually 110 volt, they have more stability, mass, and better dust collection than the contractors saws. I don't have dust collection other than my shop vac, which works ok. A dedicated, traditional dust collector can be in the same space or located in an ajoining location. YouTube is your friend to actually see how a lot of people have things setup.

The ABC's of Table Saws

If you don't need to move the saw from jobsite to jobsite, I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits of a full size saw in favor of a portable.  I'd go with a full size stationary saw with a belt drive induction motor.

I'd be leery of the R4512, Cman 21833, and the Grizzly G0715P...all have nearly identical trunnion design, and nearly identical histories of alignment issues.  Many times I've read the issues have been resolved, and many times it has proven to not be the case.  Buyer beware with those models.  I'd look into the Delta 36-725 or the Grizzly G0771 for a new saw in that price range.  Otherwise, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a good used saw.  

Forgot to say Welcome earlier.  I'm also relatively new to this arena.  And I am a cheapskate.

A budget of $500 seems generous enough.  One can easily find a used Craftsman belt drive for around $200 and tune it up with little or no expense.  Add a nice fence for $200 more and it would be a quite nice unit.

I have one similar to this.  It's pretty solid and easily mounted for rolling around.  The size depends on how many cast iron wings you want attached.  Mine came with one on the left and two on the right.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/4955938039.html

Just add something like this:

http://www.toolbarn.com/delta-36t30.html?gclid=CI2gw7fW8cQCFUgkgQodi7oA9w

Forgot to say Welcome earlier.  I'm also relatively new to this arena.  And I am a cheapskate.

A budget of $500 seems generous enough.  One can easily find a used Craftsman belt drive for around $200 and tune it up with little or no expense.  Add a nice fence for $200 more and it would be a quite nice unit.

I have one similar to this.  It's pretty solid and easily mounted for rolling around.  The size depends on how many cast iron wings you want attached.  Mine came with one on the left and two on the right.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/4955938039.html

Just add something like this:

http://www.toolbarn.com/delta-36t30.html?gclid=CI2gw7fW8cQCFUgkgQodi7oA9w

Very interested in this as a newbie myself... and look at that, you're in Columbus! That saw you linked is like 10 minutes from my house. I might just check that out. :)

The space difference from a cabinet saw vs a contractor saw really isn't much. I like my older Grizzly 1 3/4 hp hybrid saw, but if I was buying today I'd go for the 3 hp Saw Stop. Both for safety and for dust collection. I am in a small shop, but I don't move it very often even though it's on a mobile base.

Very interested in this as a newbie myself... and look at that, you're in Columbus! That saw you linked is like 10 minutes from my house. I might just check that out. :)

Well, let me know where you're at.  PM me.

Also, an extra $30ish in a link belt cuts vibrations nicely.

My shop is larger than most, but often inaccessible for obvious reasons (usually weather-related).

But it is a great conversation piece for neighbors.

The ABC's of Table Saws

If you don't need to move the saw from jobsite to jobsite, I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits of a full size saw in favor of a portable.  I'd go with a full size stationary saw with a belt drive induction motor.

I'd be leery of the R4512, Cman 21833, and the Grizzly G0715P...all have nearly identical trunnion design, and nearly identical histories of alignment issues.  Many times I've read the issues have been resolved, and many times it has proven to not be the case.  Buyer beware with those models.  I'd look into the Delta 36-725 or the Grizzly G0771 for a new saw in that price range.  Otherwise, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a good used saw.  

Is the design of the delta any different?  It had seemed to me that all of the ones in this price range(which I am also looking into to get my basement shop going) seemed to be the same.  If it is more reliable it makes it a good choice especially as Lowes has it for the same price as Home Depot has the rigid.

For myself I only tend to see sketchy old craftsman saws on craigslist in this area, and getting the saw and having money for projects and maybe a planer seems like a better option at the moment than spending twice as much on a grizzly.  Also it looks like I could sell this at not too much loss in value on craigslist.

What are peoples Opinion of this?

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/4974850235.html

Looks like I could afford a nice fence and miter gauge and come out less than a new rigid or delta.

Some of the older craftsman especially in the ryobi line had non standard miter slots. That would be a deal beaker for me. Something to think about.

That looks to be a great deal, that will probably sell fast if it runs properly.   The router wing is worth more than the asking price.  The mobile base and blade guard are worth more than the asking price.  The motor is worth close to $100.  AFAIK, the miter slots on that particular model are standard 3/4".  Can't lose on that one.

The ABC's of Table Saws

If you don't need to move the saw from jobsite to jobsite, I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits of a full size saw in favor of a portable. I'd go with a full size stationary saw with a belt drive induction motor.

I'd be leery of the R4512, Cman 21833, and the Grizzly G0715P...all have nearly identical trunnion design, and nearly identical histories of alignment issues. Many times I've read the issues have been resolved, and many times it has proven to not be the case. Buyer beware with those models. I'd look into the Delta 36-725 or the Grizzly G0771 for a new saw in that price range. Otherwise, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a good used saw.

Are the alignment issues due to where the trunnions are attached or just a faulty equipment?