Outdoor b-ball bench

wtnhighlander

Ross. Is your bench a pipe clamp Roubo?

Kinda sorta. It is a bunch of SPF framing lumber glued up to approximate a three dimensiinal rectangle. Round dog holes for a holdfast.

Top is only 5' long, due to space constraints.

The pipe clamp vise was an afterthought, but works amazingly well. I put a lever underneath to release both clamps for quick open, but it is hand operated, so both hands are still occupied just opening the vise. Need to make a foot operated actuator for it.

Bench is done.

Lessons learned:

1. Wood moves (duh), deal with it.

2. Don't use 5-minute epoxy for a 15-minute glue up.

3. Blue tape is not equal to a stop collar for controlling drill depth!

White oak, finished with 3 coats of Helmsman Spar Urathane, thinned 60/40 with mineral spirits and wiped on, 8 hours between coats.

80d20dff6e43bc52c339d571182ee021.jpg

2c81ae6a2d698b5282c9ed89b7295dca.jpg

c8c93babec97a056f580f1c001930201.jpg

And now my bench is clear!

Hhhmmmmm....what next?

acce2c0fe63be3dee8bc8c81074cb1f5.jpg

Really well done Ross!

Dare I say it's a "slam dunk"? :unsure:

I like the design. Is that your own or did you adapt from an existing design?

This was a design & build on the fly project. Thus the many faults, thus the lack of close up photos!

The slat seat was dictated by the width of the single board this was made from. If I were to do it again, I would make the seat a solid panel, and use other materials for the legs.

• Like 1

Benchwarmer ? Wasn't the 12th man a benchwarmer ? Ask TIDOS or Fretless ......

Nice bench ! Hdpe feet are a good idea.

Thanks, Steve. I hope the feet actually help...the bench has been sitting out it the rain all day, with more coming tonight. Guess it won't take long to find out how it holds up!

You'd think the folks in CA would take advantage of the much needed rain they're getting and quit sending it south and east.

The rain was much needed. I got a call at about 6am Friday as I'm pulling into my desk an hour away from home informing me the garage was filling up with water. .

Well done Ross. I see you do your own saw sharpening, I do as well, my saw clamp looks a lot like yours!

Might need to update your spectacles, Richard. No saw sharpening clamps in my tool set!

Maybe you are talking about that shop vac wet/dry floor head poking up in the background of the "feet up" shot? It sort of looks like a saw clamp.

I have several handsaws that belonged to my g-paw and his brother. I'd like to get them into working order one of these days, but for now I use mostly cheap hardpoint handsaws for meat-powered work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with VJJ.

Don't chase your tail on this one.

In a couple of years you'll end up with a nice rustic weathered bench.

Otherwise you may end up with so many dove-tail butterflies and epoxy patches that Mr. Nakashima will roll in his grave and vomit.