Need advice on drum sanders

tim0625

The 22-44 Pro has a fixed head and preforms as well as the supermax, maybe even better.

Not according to about a million reviews out there.  The Pro has issues with the head staying in alignment and it's supposed to be a real PITA trying to get it back into calibration.  Supermax re-engineered the design and addressed both issues.  And it's way cheaper.  You give up a little capacity and power...that most of us don't need anyway.

Not according to about a million reviews out there.  The Pro has issues with the head staying in alignment and it's supposed to be a real PITA trying to get it back into calibration.  Supermax re-engineered the design and addressed both issues.  And it's way cheaper.  You give up a little capacity and power...that most of us don't need anyway.

The head is fixed on the pro I had one for years. Once you spend the time to adjust then then its set. The Pro head does not move like all the other open end sanders with the head that moves with a fixed table.

Like Tom said. If you're absolutely dead set on one of these, get the 22-44. I wouldn't even bother with the others. But I still think you'd be much happier ponying up the extra few bucks for a brand new supermax.

Don't forget the 8 week back order. I just called Acme, and they "hope" they will have them in stock in 8 weeks.

The first dum sander I ever used was one of the delta's you have listed there. It was cheap feeling, vibrated like crazy, and didn't run true. I used it at an acquaintances house to rough flatten a few cutting boards. It did the job but I never knew how far to turn the handle because it always sounded stressed.

I have used the jet 16-32 also. The fit and finish was much better. There is a little red light that tells you to back the drum off if your trying to take too much. The extended beds were very nice also.

They all seem a little bit on the high side to me.  For those prices, I would hold out for a supermax.

I just bought a 16-32 plus, and am very happy with it so far.  But I got it for quite a bit cheaper than the one you linked, and it was practically brand new.  If the one I bought had been the price of the 16-32 you linked, I would have saved pennies and bought a supermax

I have the Delta and works great and does everything I have wanted it to do. If I had the choice...I would go with, wider the better. However, I think those Deltas you have linked above, are priced a little high for used.

Think about a separate dust collector for a drum sander. Fine dust clogs filters fast.

-Ace- 

Everyone got off on a tangent....I don't want to spend a lot of money for a new one if I can find what I need on Craig's List.

So.....PB, you're saying the second one is the one you like? The 22-44? Have you not had any alignment issues?

Eric, you're saying the reviews are not in favor of the 22-44? Can you elaborate? 

So.....PB, you're saying the second one is the one you like? The 22-44? Have you not had any alignment issues?

First don't confuse the 22-44 PRO with the 22-44. They are different machines. 

The Pro has a stationary head and a movable conveyer while the other the head determines the drum height.

The Pro does NOT adjust the drum like the other. The pro is very easy to adjust. With the regular 22-44 and the 16-32 the drum is tilted from the right side of the drum. So as you can imagine is very touchy when it come to making an adjustment. With the pro the drum is merely loosened and set on a pair of supplied shims then retightened, takes about 2 minutes.

Now when we discuss the regular machines NOT the PRO the smaller one the entire machine is flexible, the 22-44 has a cast iron base like the supermax. The main difference is the supermax has the head bolted solid to the cast iron base while the 22-44 it is adjustable, which is it downfall and what makes it more difficult to adjust and stay adjusted. BUT there is a fix. The 22-44 can have the adjuster removed and bolted down solid. This only requires replacing a few bolts and adding some shims. Once this is done the machine can be fine tuned by tilting the left side of the table, just like the Supermax. The difference is that you have to use shims instead of having an adjustment built in like the Supermax. 

The bottom line is understanding the machine and how it works rather than relying on internet reviews.

Tim, I can't speak from personal experience on the Pro model since I never used one...so I won't try to refute anything Don said.  I only know that I've read a lot of negative reviews about calibrating those machines and keeping them that way...and that includes a person whose opinion I completely trust who used one for years and finally gave up out of frustration.  The only thing I can tell you from experience is the Supermax is an outstanding hobbyist machine for the price, and almost everyone who has one is thrilled with it.

Here is my opinion...Delta is fine, any tool you buy off of Craigs List should be looked over and adjusted. My sander needed a once over to get everything dead flat. I have used it a lot and has stayed in adjustment with no issues. I will tell you on the Delta the conveyor belt will need to be re-adjusted from time to time to stay centered on the rollers due to the brass bearings (can or could) be worn from the amount of use. Takes 2 seconds to adjust and I'm done.  

Don't over think it. You can get by with a 18" for most/all (hobby) work. If you plan on sanding raised panel doors fully assembled wider than 18" get a wider sander. Don't fool yourself you can sand a 36 piece in an 18" it ain't gonna happen and be right.

That's my 2 cents 

-Ace-

Tim, I can't speak from personal experience on the Pro model since I never used one...so I won't try to refute anything Don said.  I only know that I've read a lot of negative reviews about calibrating those machines and keeping them that way...and that includes a person whose opinion I completely trust who used one for years and finally gave up out of frustration.  The only thing I can tell you from experience is the Supermax is an outstanding hobbyist machine for the price, and almost everyone who has one is thrilled with it.

9 times out of 10 the guys that have an issue with the Pro series is that they read the instruction manual. There is a fine adjustment lever on the outer end of the drum. This is what most guys use to adjust the drum, they should NOT. The manual is not very specific but at any rate it should only be used to remove the sanding ridge when doing wide stock. If you use it to adjust the drum you will never get it right in fact its best that it just get removed and thrown in the trash because it is useless.