Dave's Workbench

xxdabroxx

On 4/20/2015 at 1:22 PM, xxdabroxx said:

Well I got my lumber order on Saturday.  For the most part it was disappointing.  The piece I ordered for the leg vise is so checked that I don't think it will be useable for anything other than firewood, and a few of the 2x6's had a fair bit of wane on the ends.  Hopefully I can get my legs out of what I ordered, good thing I got a couple extra 2x6's.

This is what I learned about trying to use construction lumber.  My spoil to usable ratio was such that I could've used poplar from a good yard and spent about the same amount of money (less waste).  For my second bench and other such projects since I have used poplar and been very happy.

That is probably true.  I started using the construction lumber for a few reasons.  (this is mostly just so others in the future know why I used construction lumber for my bench, it may not be for everyone, including myself if I were to start it now)

1. Paul Sellers did it so it must be ok. He is where I started learning about hand tool use and I watched his bench videos. (I think he had access to better lumber, but I think the doug fir will do fine in the long run.  Note: don't  accidentally grab the hem fir that is in the pile next to the doug fir, that stuff is super soft. There are a couple pieces in my bench I wish weren't there.) 

2. I was mostly broke and mostly unemployed when I started my bench (more time that money).  I was only working a few days a week and was given some planes and wanted to use them.  I quickly found the bench that was in the garage already wasn't stable enough for hand plane use.  Being able to buy 3 or 4 2x4's a week was good for me at the time.  Plus I'd pick through the whole stack and get the best boards.  Then next week there would be a new pile to choose from.  Definitely not the most expedient process though if you are in a hurry. 

3.  I don't have a good lumber yard within an hour or two so of my house.  I have found a couple places that I still need to check into, there is a sawmill up the road from my house, not sure if they have a kiln and anything but softwoods.  The hardware store in my little town may also have some hardwoods, I need to ask as I've only bought screws, and misc. hardware thus far.

If I was starting from scratch today I'd probably order whatever hardwood I could find online for the best price shipped and work with that, I still feel that people put a little too much importance on janka scale and having only the hardest of woods. 

• Like 1