Planer dust collection port

Vader

Hey all, just need a little guidance here.  I have a new Rigid 13"planer (R4331) with actually less than a couple hours use so far.  I hooked up a dust collection hose to the dust port and dust and chips go everywhere except through the hose. I mean, they come out from the infeed side, the outfeed side, the cutter head...  Do you know if I have overlooked something or do I just need to get used to the mess?  Thanks much!

It's a good thing this is a family friendly site :)

Family or not... If it ain't sucking it ani't  working....DC's don't blow, they suck... Some shop vac's do both... If you're going to read something weird into the truth, maybe you need to look at you a little closer.

I would guess one of a few options.

1) there is a clog in either the port before the connection, or the hose somewhere.

2) you are using an under powered dust collector without the needed cfm

3) ninjas are standing guard at the entrance to your hose going all matrix on the chips and batting them away at lightning speed with their swords of fury.

• Like 1

I feel really stupid but being new to woodworking I should have known.  B/f reading these posts I never knew you had to have some sort of collector or a shopvac or the like sucking the chips.  I figured the planer blew them through the dust port. Boy was I wrong.  I have since connected a small shopvac and there are still chips flying but it is only a 2 hp (5 gallon) machine. This must be it because the hose is not clogged.  What size shopvac is adequate for sucking the chips from the planer?  I'm grateful for help!

I feel really stupid but being new to woodworking I should have known. B/f reading these posts I never knew you had to have some sort of collector or a shopvac or the like sucking the chips. I figured the planer blew them through the dust port. Boy was I wrong. I have since connected a small shopvac and there are still chips flying but it is only a 2 hp (5 gallon) machine. This must be it because the hose is not clogged. What size shopvac is adequate for sucking the chips from the planer? I'm grateful for help!

Probably none to be honest. Your putting shavings out so fast you'll just plug your shopvac hose.

I feel really stupid but being new to woodworking I should have known.  B/f reading these posts I never knew you had to have some sort of collector or a shopvac or the like sucking the chips.  I figured the planer blew them through the dust port. Boy was I wrong.  I have since connected a small shopvac and there are still chips flying but it is only a 2 hp (5 gallon) machine. This must be it because the hose is not clogged.  What size shopvac is adequate for sucking the chips from the planer?  I'm grateful for help!

Go to Harbor Freight, buy their $200+ dust collector, and your problem is solved!

• Like 2

Looking at the planer it only has a 2-1/2" port.  You aren't really going to do any better than a good shop vac with that small of a port.  On my Makita the factory 2-1/2" port was completely useless and I made my own transition to a 4" port.  The Ridgid has some funky shaped plastic thing on top that is in the way so I don't know if you are going to be able to do that.  You may be up a creek with a canoe full of planer shavings.

When I bought my DeWalt 735 planer, the instructions said to NOT even try using a shop vac as it couldn't even keep up with the blower on the planer.

The first time that I used it (just to see how it worked) I covered my son-in-law with oak chips. We still laugh about that to this day. :)

I then tried it with the catcher bag that came with it. That helped a bit but, wasn't THE answer. Finally I got a small dust Jet collector hooked up to it and it is probably the cleanest machine in the shop now.

Now the current problem is to watch the dust collector bag and stop planning BEFORE it gets too full! It happens fast if you have much planning to do! :) That sucker....excuse me..... "blower" flat kicks out the chips and dust!! :)

Rog

Go to Harbor Freight, buy their $200+ dust collector, and your problem is solved!

This is what I did.  I have the same planer and the HF dust collector.  The dust collector takes care of the majority of the chips, but they still pile up in and around the planer and on the floor.  I take the occasional break from planing and use the hose to suck up the chips.

This was my first thickness planer, and I underestimated its ability to make chips.  It makes A LOT  of chips. 

My delta 13" lunch box doesn't have a DC port. I've considered making one but it's just one of those things to me that I don't mind. The shavings do come out both front and back, and on top of the planed surface. after planing, I normally just grab a push broom and big shop dust pan. It may take 30 seconds to sweep up and it's done.
With that being said, the delta unit does not have a jet turbine blower fan throwing chips into the next county like the Dewalt.

You aren't stupid - some planers do have a fan that blows the chips out the dust port.

Indeed.  I often hook up my Dewalt to my Super Dust Deputy and then just run a hose from that out the back door.  That thing still creates enough pressure in the garbage can under the DD to throw dust out from under the lid.