first router inlay attempt

Brendon_t

Well, it's go big or go home right?

I was asked to make a box for my friends wedding reception that notes from attendees would be locked in and the couple could open on their first anniversary.

I've used this as an excuse to try my hand at router assisted inlay.

I looked at a few simple designed and decided to just nut up and give it a go.

I am goint to attempt to snap a picture between each of the 16 individual pieces to be inlayed.

The wood will be purple heart, and maple for the flowers, wenge for the stem, and yard wood for the leaves.

Wish me luck.

post-16319-0-78932300-1429065685_thumb.p

Ooh cooper's got jokes. I'm just hoping you finish your box before your eyes give and dementia takes you.

This is going to be a trial run in a piece of birch.  If it doesn't look like a crayola box exploded, I'll give it a go on the sapele lid.

Work has unfortunately stalled already. Out of 3 card scrapers, I can find exactly none of them. First petal is in but I tall don't want to sand it down. I feel that by the end, the whole thing would be a divot. .

• Like 1

I haven't yet decided if the leaves will need shaded or not. The wood yard wood I'm using has such an extreme gradient of color in it, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a good inner seam line by taking it out of the right spot.

Steve, yard wood is a very rare and mysterious wood. . Aka I had a log in my back yard, don't know what it is, has some nice characteristics. I think it'll fit well.

If a hand cut marquetry class ever comes to your town - take the class.

You can do the entire rose with each piece to the tiniest and thinnest detail with an exacto, watered-down glue, and masking tape. Then use the router one time to insert the whole thing into your piece.

Bonus, you can do it on the coffee table while watching a movie

If a hand cut marquetry class ever comes to your town - take the class.

You can do the entire rose with each piece to the tiniest and thinnest detail with an exacto, watered-down glue, and masking tape. Then use the router one time to insert the whole thing into your piece.

Bonus, you can do it on the coffee table while watching a movie

Sorry for the hijack - you gotta tell me more.  How do you cut the recess?

Sorry for the hijack - you gotta tell me more.  How do you cut the recess?

Only need one recess, the one for the completed flower. You'd use to router just the one time for that.

All the other pieces would be done exacto-knife marquetry style, then you'd inlay the whole piece into the project once.

Only need one recess, the one for the completed flower. You'd use to router just the one time for that.

All the other pieces would be done exacto-knife marquetry style, then you'd inlay the whole piece into the project once.

Ok I think I misunderstood initially.  So you cut the pieces out of thin stock with an xacto knife, fit them together with glue, then just recess the whole thing with a router.

What I'm thinking of it a little different from that thread.

Take a look at Jane's page

http://www.janeburke.com/technique.html

In this case though, once finished, you'd cut out the final design and route it in. Just happens to work well in this case because it's one single connected flower.

Or......since this is for a box, you could just use a background veneer that matches the box and overlay the entire marquetry piece atop that piece of the box.

Or you could just route it all in too. :)