Miter Saw: Bosch GCM12SD or DeWalt DWS780?

Immortan D

My suggestion would be the Bosch GCM12SD. I considered this saw when looking at them. It was between that and the Kapex. I chose the latter because I enjoy the flavor of the green Kool-Aid, and the smaller footprint was highly desirable for me. I think the Bosch is a better made machine than the Dewalt.

• Like 2

I have the 12" hitachi and really like it. It can sit closer to a wall than the dewalt, because of the ability to slide forward. I put a good blade on, and it cuts perfect for me. Plus the price at $399 is hard to beat in my opinion. If money was no object for me, I would have the Kapex.

• Like 1

I had an older version of the Dewalt for several years, and it was a decent saw.  I replaced it (no fault of the saw, long story) with the Bosch.  I have had it for little over 2 years.  I looked at the Kapex but just couldn't open my wallet that much.  The Bosch has been outstanding.  It is different from most sliders and takes a little getting used to but I haven't regretted the decision once.  I have used it almost daily for the last year without a single hiccup. 

• Like 1

You could try Dewalt's DWS782R 12 in. Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw for $400.  It's reconditioned but you get the same warranty.  I bought the reconditioned Dewalt model you listed above 11 years ago and it still works great today.  I believe they're mainly scratch and dent made new again by Dewalt because they arrive 'certified reconditioned'.  

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Dewalt-DWS782R-Sliding-Compound/dp/B00TRPQQMA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1429280408&sr=8-5&keywords=reconditioned+dewalt

Ships from CPO but backed by Amazon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Noise levels are probably very similar.

I had the Dewalt for many years and really liked it..  I only recently upgraded to the Kapex.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the saws listed above.

• Like 1

Hey daniel, i had a 10" bosch slider for 9 years. Served me well and was a great machine. I also have a 12" dewalt chop saw, it is also a great machine. Before i bought the kapex i was looking at the bosch glider as well. I dont have experience with it but it looks awesome. I ended up getting the kapex cause im a sucker for green koolaid....

• Like 1

I have the 10" Bosch sliding mitre for about 10 years and used it a LOT for a hobbyist. Although I have been really happy with it once I started to try to cut accurate mitres I found that the fence was bent and I had to do some minor engineering on it to get it square. It could have gone horribly wrong (I used a lathe bed and clamps to "adjust it") it came up to within a fraction of a mm with some not so gentle persuasion.

My only advice would be to take a straight edge and square with you and check for flatness and square before you buy.

John

• Like 1

No experience with the Bosch but it can't be any worse than the Dewalt I use for DIY.  That thing is a mess.  I'd go Bosch or Makita.

Miter saws are loud.  My Kapex might be the loudest tool in my shop.  That or the PC7518 in my RT.  The Kapex is louder than other SCMS but they're all loud.

• Like 1

My Kapex might be the loudest tool in my shop.  That or the PC7518 in my RT.  The Kapex is louder than other SCMS but they're all loud.

At least the Kapex is good at dust collection. The video on this page makes me not want the Bosch! It seems to be by far the worst SCMS ever when it comes to dust collection.

I guess I will have to build a dust collection frame for it.

Compared to the Dewalt I replaced, the Bosch was leaps and bounds better.  But when I was able to find a permanent home for the saw and set up with a vac I was not pleased with the amount of dust left behind.  I did a little research, watched a couple of Kapex videos and realized that one major difference was that the rubber flap on the dc intake extended to the work piece.  I took the flap off my tile saw and riveted it to the Bosch and that simple fix solved 95% of the problem. post-16772-0-95574300-1434125568_thumb.j

In the second picture, (it is kind of hard to see) there is a gap between the intake and guard pivot.  Sawdust escapes through this gap.  I just need to cover that gap and  I think I will the dc problem mostly solved.  post-16772-0-93856900-1434125786_thumb.j

• Like 1

Compared to the Dewalt I replaced, the Bosch was leaps and bounds better.  But when I was able to find a permanent home for the saw and set up with a vac I was not pleased with the amount of dust left behind.  I did a little research, watched a couple of Kapex videos and realized that one major difference was that the rubber flap on the dc intake extended to the work piece.  I took the flap off my tile saw and riveted it to the Bosch and that simple fix solved 95% of the problem. attachicon.gifSaw1.JPG

In the second picture, (it is kind of hard to see) there is a gap between the intake and guard pivot.  Sawdust escapes through this gap.  I just need to cover that gap and  I think I will the dc problem mostly solved.  attachicon.gifsaw2.JPG

Excellent info, Bob! Thanks for sharing this.

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this topic... I was in the Big Orange Store this morning and they have a "limited" release of the DWS780 for $399! It appears they only difference is the removal of the XPS light. I had been planning to buy the Bosch when budget allowed but at $200 less the Dewalt is really appealing! Any fatal flaws on the 780 that would make you run away? My primary use is rough cutting long stock and then cutting stock that is too big for my table saw. 

1 hour ago, N00b-in-training said:

Resurrecting this topic... I was in the Big Orange Store this morning and they have a "limited" release of the DWS780 for $399! It appears they only difference is the removal of the XPS light. I had been planning to buy the Bosch when budget allowed but at $200 less the Dewalt is really appealing! Any fatal flaws on the 780 that would make you run away? My primary use is rough cutting long stock and then cutting stock that is too big for my table saw. 

It's not a bad saw, and would do the job you're asking of it. It does take up a lot of space, it's heavy, and the slide isn't super smooth. The 10" DW717 is smaller, lighter, slides better and has better dust collection and it's about the same price as the 708 on sale with the sacrifice of some capacity. In a hobby shop setting that extra capacity won't be needed often.