Wood for a bathroom?

bushwacked

Going to make another essential oils holder for a friend. It will be going in the bathroom this time. Is there a certain wood that is good for this or is it all about the finish?

I was thinking of maple but not sure what to finish with to protect from the steam of hot showers.

Looks something like below....

f72ee844daed5342ffcb9b4b8219a63f.jpg

Ok I will stick with ARS. That will keep all the moisture out and not ruin after years in a bathroom?

I think you will be fine.  As long as it is not sitting in standing water, Arm R Seal should be durable enough.  People don't realize how durable oil based poly really is.  The humidity swings are short lived, I really don't think it is severe enough to require special consideration.  

If bamboo fails, I would not go with maple.  It's not very rot resistant, and I've even seen problems with it under a good finish.

I would consider teak, locust, or osage orange (what color are you going for?).  All three, even unfinished would last about three years longer than a rock...

If bamboo fails, I would not go with maple.  It's not very rot resistant, and I've even seen problems with it under a good finish.

I would consider teak, locust, or osage orange (what color are you going for?).  All three, even unfinished would last about three years longer than a rock...

If it were outside and subject to harsh conditions I would agree.  

inside a bathroom, even with intermintent humidity, anything will work.   

the primary causes of finish/wood failure outside are UV exposure, extreme and prolonged humidity swings, and insects (which accelerate rot).   I would not anticipate those conditions in a bathroom.   Plenty of bathroom cabinets, even high end, have MDF core and they survive just fine.

Just make sure they keep it dry and not right next to the sink or inside the shower.