Steel City closed down !

wdwerker

==>just bought a steel city drill press on friday

Really shouldn't be a problem as drill press parts are pretty standard – now, if you purchased a combo unit....

FYI: Operations ceased in March, so your reseller knew about it when they sold you the unit…

I had my eye on the Steel City 13" Deluxe Portable Planer with Helical Head 40200H for years - and was disappointed when it was discontinued.

However, it seems RIKON may have commissioned the same Chinese factory to build a very similar-looking model: the Rikon 25-130H HSS Helical Head Portable Planer 13 inch. Highland has them for $549.

Anyone know if this is the 'same' planer?

I had my eye on the Steel City 13" Deluxe Portable Planer with Helical Head 40200H for years - and was disappointed when it was discontinued.

However, it seems RIKON may have commissioned the same Chinese factory to build a very similar-looking model: the Rikon 25-130H HSS Helical Head Portable Planer 13 inch. Highland has them for $549.

Anyone know if this is the 'same' planer?

Woodwerks.com has these on sale right now!

Really? This is the only portable helical head planer that I was aware of from Steel City. I could be wrong... It has been known to happen before.

Great deal by the way.

http://www.woodwerks.com/brand/steel-city/planers/steel-city-13-two-speed-thickness-planer-w-super-cut.html

No they had a deluxe model. I have it

Really? This is the only portable helical head planer that I was aware of from Steel City. I could be wrong... It has been known to happen before.

Great deal by the way.

http://www.woodwerks.com/brand/steel-city/planers/steel-city-13-two-speed-thickness-planer-w-super-cut.html

Thanks for the info and link.

I just bought one.  The woodwerks web site listed $49 shipping.  However, when I paid, it said shipping was free.  What a deal.

Edit: Got an e-mail this morning requesting the $49 shipping. Oh well...still an excellent price.

• Like 2

I've had the Steel City drill press and jointer for few years and should last for many more.  I wouldn't hesitate getting anything from them.

Woodwerks - my hometown, go to store...   They go above and beyond every time I am in there.  BTW, they have a lot more in the store than they have online. 

I can also confirm that WoodWerks has great service. I ordered a band saw from them and there was a problem with the local delivery. Even though it was no fault of theirs, they are sending me a gift card for my troubles. That totally paid back my shipping charge. First class service!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had the Steel City drill press and jointer for few years and should last for many more. I wouldn't hesitate getting anything from them.

Woodwerks - my hometown, go to store... They go above and beyond every time I am in there. BTW, they have a lot more in the store than they have online.

I wish they were close. I want a steel city HH jointer.

The woodwerkes.com deal seems pretty good. Question for those in the know: will the helical cutter head cutters be easy to source? I'm guessing those are fairly standard, but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Be careful searching the internet for the acu head that steel city uses. Their web site cost me a hard drive.

The woodwerkes.com deal seems pretty good. Question for those in the know: will the helical cutter head cutters be easy to source? I'm guessing those are fairly standard, but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

I have e-mailed the woodwerkes.com sales and asked if they stock the replacement cutters.  Have not heard back yet.

Amazon stocks Steel City Tool Works 40930 Replacement Tips for 40200H Planer...link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-City-Tool-Works-40930/dp/B0046RDURS/ref=pd_sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=17VMJV2M0ZCF9SBJQV0C

I believe these will work in the 40305 planer, but am not 100% certain.  They are expensive and only 2 sides are sharpened.

Edit:  These will NOT work.  The 40305 uses a 2 sided, 2 hole cutter.

My planer arrives tomorrow, so I should be able to provide more info later this week.