Steel City closed down !

wdwerker

The woodwerkes.com deal seems pretty good. Question for those in the know: will the helical cutter head cutters be easy to source? I'm guessing those are fairly standard, but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

I have unboxed my planer... hoping that Steel City had included a couple of spare cutters, but none were in the box.

As stated above, the cutters are 2 sided, 2 hole.

I removed one cutter and measured it.  It appears to be a non-standard size: 27mm x 15mm x 2mm - with 14mm CTC (holes).

At this point, finding spare cutters is more difficult than I would like.

I am still happy with my purchase.  Since the cutters are 2 sided, I sorta have 26 spare edges.

Look hard and stock up.

I have found a couple of web sites which state: "Other sizes available - contact us" which I will do shortly.

I have also found some 30 x 15 x 1.5  14CTC.  I believe these would work, except I would have to swap out all 26 cutters.

Congrats on the new planer!  And good stocking up on spare cutters. I don't ever expect to wear out the cutters on my spiral.... but I did end up with a few broken ones (bought it used - previous owner or I could have over-tightened some) so it's always good to have spares on hand.

That seems kind of rediculous to me. How many of them are on the cutter head?

26 on the cutter head. $4 is at the top end of the ones that I found.  Prevailing price was between $3 and $4.

Congrats on the new planer!  And good stocking up on spare cutters. I don't ever expect to wear out the cutters on my spiral.... but I did end up with a few broken ones (bought it used - previous owner or I could have over-tightened some) so it's always good to have spares on hand.

Thanks...I don't expect to wear any out, but things can happen, like the hidden nail in a repurposed board, or over-tightening.  I would rather have too many spares than not enough.