Finishing

TomP

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the procedure for using CA glue for finishing?

Depends on the piece. Not a turner myself, but I've seen turners use CA my dribbling it onto a piece while spinning on the lathe, and polishing it in with a paper towel.

I have used CA for small items like wooden jewelry and guitar picks. I prefer the thinnest type of CA, and dip into it or brush it on liberally. Be prepared to allow drips to run off the piece. The CA forms a very clear, hard shell. Jewelry worn against the skin witll eventually break it down if not cleaned regularly, but guitar picks I've made hold up incredibly well with a CA finish.

Depends on the piece. Not a turner myself, but I've seen turners use CA my dribbling it onto a piece while spinning on the lathe, and polishing it in with a paper towel.

I have used CA for small items like wooden jewelry and guitar picks. I prefer the thinnest type of CA, and dip into it or brush it on liberally. Be prepared to allow drips to run off the piece. The CA forms a very clear, hard shell. Jewelry worn against the skin witll eventually break it down if not cleaned regularly, but guitar picks I've made hold up incredibly well with a CA finish.

I just had to have the missus help me cut my fingers apart this past weekend, trying to line up joints while using CA glue. Not sure I want to drizzle the stuff on a rotating piece. Just sayin'

• Like 2

I just had to have the missus help me cut my fingers apart this past weekend, trying to line up joints while using CA glue. Not sure I want to drizzle the stuff on a rotating piece. Just sayin'

Lotion your hands well, and let them dry enough that they aren't greasy. That usually keeps the CA from grabbing the skin.

• 3 weeks later...