Slabs for thousands

Willin

Visited Collectors Specialty Woods yesterday in Denver to see what they have

Well, if its burls, crotches, monster flitches, anything at all you need to make large scale tables, they have it for you.

Saw slabs of exotic figured woods priced at $8,000 to $14,000 each, size maybe 2-1/4 thick by 40 x 100.

One local place sells rough cut walnut and cherry slabs at his regular BF pricing. $5/bf for walnut and $4.50-7.00 for cherry, depending on how he grades it. Most of the slabs are 8-10 ft long. Comes out to a pretty good deal.

Another place sells somewhat thicker slabs that have been planed and sanded to 150 for about $100 for coffee table sizes and $1-2k for dining table sizes.

Maybe I should get into the slab table market.

The building at CS is maybe the size of a supermarket, with a lot of overhead.  Aisleways are just wide enough for the forklifts they have.

There a lot of stickered-up whole sawlogs, many with crotches, sitting up on blocks off the floor, so you can get all your wood for your VIP project all from the same tree.  Likewise, for you same-tree guys, a lot of the lumber up on the racks there is labeled, for example "#160, 3 of 14," so you can be sure of your color and texture.

The outside walls have a lot of onesie twosie boards up on end, some of them really wide and long.  I saw a piece of WRC, must have been 18 to 20 feet long, clear, about 25 inches wide.

I did the purchasing for a while for ThermaTru doors, a pretty big company, and we bought stile and rail parts by the truckload from the northern CA reman mills up around Redding.  All of it was ponderosa.  I liked visiting our suppliers there and seeing the mills.  Their sawill and kiln plants supplied the reman plants with what was specified as "5/4 plump" boardstock, which they used to make our fingerjointed parts.  As much as 35 full truckloads per month went to our plants.

The 5/4 plump boards first went through gang rippers, the cuts spaced so as to bridge as many knots as possible and stay within the cut width mix for whatever was running that day.  Random width and 22 feet long, these boards always ran upwards of 20 inches in width, some of them as wide as 30.

The log trucks bringing the boles in from the Sierras often had just one or two logs, the sizes were so big.

• Like 1

Slabs have become ultra trendy.  Most of us wouldn't spend that kind of coin for a dining room table.  But for a company to spend six figures decorating a conference room in a class A office space is not unusual.  That is where these slabs mostly end up.  

I have a ton of oak slabs. Been making oak runner for lobster traps, just setting the slabs aside. Any ideas where I could sell them? Ive been using some for crafts. Also have some 3' pine slabs I'd like to use for countertops. Has anyone done that?