Blue Tape

Coop

I just bought a Bessey Strap Clamp. I figured if it is made by Bessey, it must be good. Either I'm not using it right to make some small drawers, or it's not worth it's weight in the plastic it's packaged in.

I also have a Rockler Ratcheting Band Clamp with the cauls. I don't have enough hands to make this thing work. Just another gimmick.

But the time proven way of using blue tape on the outer faces of the sides and folding it over is fool proof.

Why do I fall for this other crap?

Coop, I understand your frustration, having been down the same road with strap / band clamps. They actually do a decent job, once you figure out how to get them in place!

That blue tape is handy for holding the corner guard pieces in place while you tighten up the band.

I'll try that if I can find all of the parts I threw against the walls and at the garbage can. I'm pretty sure there were four of these little things?

• Like 2

hey coop, had the same problem, decided to use my picture framing clamps instead, these were custom made for me out of aluminum but you can buy plastic ones, 1/4 threaded rod is all you need to make them any size you want, I've used them on everything from small to larger projects and they work great, use more than one for stuff like big drawers ect. 

post-17217-0-39685500-1429451356_thumb.j

post-17217-0-72778000-1429451384_thumb.j

hey coop, had the same problem, decided to use my picture framing clamps instead, these were custom made for me out of aluminum but you can buy plastic ones, 1/4 threaded rod is all you need to make them any size you want, I've used them on everything from small to larger projects and they work great, use more than one for stuff like big drawers ect. 

Here's a link for the plastic ones:

http://www.garrettwade.com/4-way-corner-frame-clamp/p/91G01.04/

They are backordered and won't ship until 5/1/2015.

I am buying a set.

Thanks to Coop and Treeslayer.

Coop, for the boxes your making, Blue tape is more than adequate.I could see needing bigger clamps on a larger project. I personally just use 4 24" jet clamps when tape won't due

That's what I resorted to. I've always used the blue tape on small boxes but thought this Bessey thing would expedite the process.

Thanks FtrPilot for the link. I'm going to try a set.

A lot depends on what you are trying to join together and how big it is. I use blue tape also but to get a good "tight joint", I have used several different clamps.

On smaller boxes, I have just used the good old cheap corner clamps one on the top edge and one on the bottom edge to get started and then go to the next corner with another set of clamps.

On larger boxes I have used the band clamps with good success IF you set the box on the bench dry fit (with blue tape) and then adjust the clamps to fit before hand then un-tape the corners, apply glue, re-tape and start snugging up the clamps gradually watching the corners closely as you tighten the clamps. Of course, if you measure diagonally and adjust accordingly before the glue dries, it helps a lot.   

On picture frames I always use my "one clamp frame jig" that I made years ago.

Makingapictureframe013_zps659903ab.jpg

See my post in "Jigs and Fixtures"

Rog

Rog

I just built something similiar and really like it. However, the drawers I'm making are 8" x 10" and this jig is way too large.

The blue tape sucked everything up nicely.

I usually us a hand plane on the tops and bottoms of the sides but as the front is be maple, I decided to run them thru the drum sander. Did a great job.

I just built something similiar and really like it. However, the drawers I'm making are 8" x 10" and this jig is way too large.

The blue tape sucked everything up nicely.

I usually us a hand plane on the tops and bottoms of the sides but as the front is be maple, I decided to run them thru the drum sander. Did a great job.

OK, I'm glad things turned out for you this time. Next time you might try extra large rubber bands to help clamp small things a bit tighter.

I have cut sections of old inter tube for bigger rubber bands and strips of rubber to wrap boxes with to get more pressure. Even a long piece of surgical rubber tubing works wonders. (I know that tubeless tires have ruined the supply of old inter tubes these days. :) )

Rog