Im a moron!

I cant believe what i just did. Couple weeks ago i put some old plywood on some sawhorses as a temp workbench to build my outfeed table. I didnt realise that there was a broken screw protruding ever so slighlty that made a hole in my formica top and scratched it up a bit. I was pretty annoyed. This is probably where most people with half a brain would have pulled that screw out. I just banged it down and thought that should be good. Fast forward a few weeks to today. While Making some clamp racks i grab the infamous piece of plywood and rip it on my 2 month old sawstop. As im ripping it i think to myself, it seems a little hard to push that cheap stock blade must need changing. Man i wish it was just the blade. That resistance was that little bit of screw that i never pulled out making a groove in my nice, pristine cast iron top. Man that hurt to see. No one to blame but myself.....

post-16857-142947479057_thumb.jpg

Anyone else have any similar, "im such a moron" stories? Please share, it might help make me feel like a little less of a moron

I'm sitting sifting through my my library of "what was I thinking moments" and I realized you are pretty lucky because when that thought comes into my mind it usually involves blood or a trip to the hospital.

I may narrow it down and share one later, or not, LOL

I was slicing veneer to test out my new 1412. I happened to press sideways on the blade while cutting and cut a little bit into the fence. Nothing too bad though. Common thing on a bandsaw fence. Worst I've done.

On another note, the guy I bought my first Jet table saw from had used the saw to support a piece he was cutting with a circular saw and he cut right into the steel tube of the fence.

I was trying out my brand new triton router cutting out some miter slot grooves in my out feed table when I hear an awful noise and sparks went flying, turns out one of the screws I used in the top ended up right in the middle of the groove! Luckily it chewed up the screw head but it didn't do anything to the cheap Bosch bit!

I guessed the most recent one will due. About a month Ago, I needed to cut a 6 foot board in half but wanted square ends. No problem. Set the miter Guage in the right track for "more support". Always goes in the left for me.

I now have a beautiful 1.5" tall cut about down the center of my brand new kreg mitre Guage.

I cant believe what i just did. Couple weeks ago i put some old plywood on some sawhorses as a temp workbench to build my outfeed table. I didnt realise that there was a broken screw protruding ever so slighlty that made a hole in my formica top and scratched it up a bit. I was pretty annoyed. This is probably where most people with half a brain would have pulled that screw out. I just banged it down and thought that should be good. Fast forward a few weeks to today. While Making some clamp racks i grab the infamous piece of plywood and rip it on my 2 month old sawstop. As im ripping it i think to myself, it seems a little hard to push that cheap stock blade must need changing. Man i wish it was just the blade. That resistance was that little bit of screw that i never pulled out making a groove in my nice, pristine cast iron top. Man that hurt to see. No one to blame but myself.....

attachicon.gifrps20150419_160549.jpg

Anyone else have any similar, "im such a moron" stories? Please share, it might help make me feel like a little less of a moron

Is it just on the left wing? If you're that distraught over it, you can always order a new wing, Would probably be cheaper than getting a machine shop to grind it down.

Is it just on the left wing? If you're that distraught over it, you can always order a new wing, Would probably be cheaper than getting a machine shop to grind it down.

Yup. Just the left wing. I sanded it a bit and waxed it. It wont affect the saw at all just a real pain in the butt. I guess with a shop full of new tools, it was bound to happen. Like when you get a new car, always gets scratched!

This is relatively light compared to the others but I have two. Ones similar :)

I got an expensive rockler circle template kit recently to make salt cellar holes with. I promptly lowered my router bit too far and the collet tore the crap out 2.5 inch hole in my brand new plexiglass circle template set :(

When I got.my first dewalt 12 inch miter saw a friend asked me to rip a 4x4. He didn't mention it was from a sheet metal pallet. A stray nail gouged and horribly scratched the table of my miter saw on its very first cut :(

A couple of years ago, when I was young and dumb(er) about woodworking, I bought an adjustable crosscut sled for the ts. One day a project called for a 45* cut so I tllted the blade and ran the sled thru. Now it can be used only for 45's as there is no backup support for 90's.

When i first got my grizzly ts i laid a face frame on the top to sand it with a ro sander. The vibration between the frame and the ts top left a ton of scratches. The saw was brand new so i was really bummed. I learned to let that stuff go, i just make sure everything gets cleaned up real nice after use.

When I first started reading this I was thinking I'd have to roll my eyes about another scratched table saw top...as if it doesn't happen and as if it matters when it does.  But man, that is one nasty ugly scratch and I'd hate myself for that too. :D  Sorry dude, that sucks!

• Like 1

When I first started reading this I was thinking I'd have to roll my eyes about another scratched table saw top...as if it doesn't happen and as if it matters when it does. But man, that is one nasty ugly scratch and I'd hate myself for that too. :D Sorry dude, that sucks!

Ya its really bad. I dont care at all about regular wear and type of scratches, it adds character. This on the other hand is another story. I might one day change the piece of cast depending on the price. But i have spent waaaay too much money on tools in the last 2 months to justify that to the wife. Shes pretty cool with my tool spending but she wouldn't be cool with that.

Ya its really bad. I dont care at all about regular wear and type of scratches, it adds character. This on the other hand is another story. I might one day change the piece of cast depending on the price. But i have spent waaaay too much money on tools in the last 2 months to justify that to the wife. Shes pretty cool with my tool spending but she wouldn't be cool with that.

It that happened to me it would be a must that I buy a new wing, throw that old one in the trash and pretend it never happened over a few beers. Luckily it is just the wing, it's probably half the price of the top, and a quick fix.

It that happened to me it would be a must that I buy a new wing, throw that old one in the trash and pretend it never happened over a few beers. Luckily it is just the wing, it's probably half the price of the top, and a quick fix.

Ya i just spoke to sawstop and they basically said the same thing. Lucky its just the wing, only around 100$.
  • Like 1

bought a new incra miter gauge, set it to 45 deg. made some cuts, set it back to 90 deg. mad promptly cut an 1/8 inch off of it, no shortage of morons in my shop

Yeah... I haven't done this.. But I almost did! There must be a good way to go back and forth. 

Regular wear and tear is one thing but I would have to replace that.  Call it $100 for the price or the lesson.  If you had run the screw through the blade you would be replacing the blade (most likely) $80 or more and the blade brake $70, so right now you are ahead of the game.  At least that is the way you can explain it to your wife.  :P  :P  :P