Im a moron!

I had just gotten my brand new, first ever jointer nicely set up. I grabbed a scrap piece of 2x6 I had hanging around and ran it through to test my setup.

First pass through and I found a hidden nail, which completely destroyed one of the knives. This was lumber I had picked up from HD, so it must have been milled with the nail in it.

My new metal detector should be here by the end of the week...

For once I’m not the one that made the bonehead move.  My wife allowed a contractor, who was doing some work for us, use my relatively new unisaw to cut a piece of 2x4 which apparently had a nail poking through and put a long scratch in the cast iron table top.

Cant tell if youre being sarcastic or you actually cant see the scratch......

Sarcastic. Level it with a sanding block and call it a battle scar. It may hurt your feelings, but shouldn't hurt your work. Replace it if you like, but if it were mine, I'd save the money for wood.

Of course, this advice is from a guy that hasn't purchased a "new" car in 35 years. After the first one, I decided that first scratch pain could be someone else's.

• Like 1

Sarcastic. Level it with a sanding block and call it a battle scar. It may hurt your feelings, but shouldn't hurt your work. Replace it if you like, but if it were mine, I'd save the money for wood.

Of course, this advice is from a guy that hasn't purchased a "new" car in 35 years. After the first one, I decided that first scratch pain could be someone else's.

Ahh. I sanded it and will live with it for a while.

I bought a nice, two piece aluminum edge guide to use with a flush trim bit in a router.  I was routing along fine until I started noticing aluminum shavings amidst the other dust.  I still don't know how I did it, but I now have a straight edge guide which is 2/3 straight and 1/3 wavy. 

My buddy put a 16 penny right through his hand like Jesus on the cross with a Paslode framing nailer. How's that for a bad day?

I shot myself in the hand with a hilti nail gun... The kind that shoot nails into concrete with a .25 caliber shell? Yeah that kind. It. F'ing. HURT!

I was running log boards through the jointer, put the end of a board through a window in the garage (man) door behind me.

Covered it with a piece of plywood which I spray painted "oops" on... Didn't replace the glass until we put the house on the market because I was so sure I'd do it again and the REALLY have something to swear about!

3 years later and my kids still remind me of it!

Not wood related, but I knew a guy who made medieval re-enactment armor. He was trying to get leather straps lined up in the knee armor, and the most practical support to test fit was his knee.

He got everything nicely set up, grabbed his drill, and started drilling the hole right through the 16 gauge steel, which takes a certain amount of downward pressure. Once he got through the steel, that same downward pressure drove the bit almost an inch into his leg.

Not wood related, but I knew a guy who made medieval re-enactment armor. He was trying to get leather straps lined up in the knee armor, and the most practical support to test fit was his knee.

He got everything nicely set up, grabbed his drill, and started drilling the hole right through the 16 gauge steel, which takes a certain amount of downward pressure. Once he got through the steel, that same downward pressure drove the bit almost an inch into his leg.

Most of these I can look at and think "yeah, I can see me doing that". This though, is kind of a different league

I have done that, just and idiot sometimes but hell Ive sucked my teeth into the cyclone.

• Like 1

I was installing crown molding on my kitchen cabinets & needed a 3rd hand at one of the miter joints.  So I got my teenage son to come help & took the opportunity to make it a teaching moment.  There followed a lecture & demonstration about how when using an air nailer, that nail can go in any direction if it hits a knot or some funny grain so keep your digits at an appropriate distance.  I then proceeded to secure my thumb to the molding when the nail took a turn in the wood.  My 1st thought was to tell him thanks & send him on his way before he noticed but that didn't work.  Embarrassing and painful.  He loves to retell that story.

• Like 2

I was holding 2 parts together and my helper was drilling pilot holes and installing the screws. At the last second my hand slipped and I got a 1/8 hole drilled all the way through my palm ! X-rays showed it missed the bones . We looked at the bit and there were 2 perfect spirals of flesh . Still have a tiny scar.

I was sitting on the floor drilling a prop for a large RC plane. I couldn't find my cordless and the closest thing to me was a 1/2 drive drill. I proceeded to drill very small holes with the large drill. When I got up the bit chucked up in the drill caught my pant leg and the bit snapped and went flying. I went to walk and my knee instantly locked up in pain. That night I had arthroscopic surgery to remove a small piece of drill bit that fell in the void under my knee cap.

When I asked the female surgeon if she knew what she was doing, she said. " I removed just about every caliber bullet from the human body, but you are my first drill bit!"

I cant believe what i just did. Couple weeks ago i put some old plywood on some sawhorses as a temp workbench to build my outfeed table. I didnt realise that there was a broken screw protruding ever so slighlty that made a hole in my formica top and scratched it up a bit. I was pretty annoyed. This is probably where most people with half a brain would have pulled that screw out. I just banged it down and thought that should be good. Fast forward a few weeks to today. While Making some clamp racks i grab the infamous piece of plywood and rip it on my 2 month old sawstop. As im ripping it i think to myself, it seems a little hard to push that cheap stock blade must need changing. Man i wish it was just the blade. That resistance was that little bit of screw that i never pulled out making a groove in my nice, pristine cast iron top. Man that hurt to see. No one to blame but myself.....

attachicon.gifrps20150419_160549.jpg

Anyone else have any similar, "im such a moron" stories? Please share, it might help make me feel like a little less of a moron

It's like a new car, the first scratch hurts a lot but after a month or so you'll never notice. Cast iron is relatively soft, it dents, it scratches, it rusts at the drop of a hat, it ain't pretty after a bit of use. You'll get used to it.

And I just put a similar gouge into my Sawstop a couple of days ago, slid my crosscut sled across it and evidently one of the screws holding the miter bars hadn't been sanded down quite flush. Stuff happens, it's a saw not a show car.

When I bought my new jig saw it was one of those spend $X get $50 off so I ordered basically a lifetime supply of blades to go with it.  Haven't used the saw very much but needed it this week.  I spent I don't know how many hours looking for that stash of blades.  They certainly weren't in the workbench drawers where the jig saw lives.  I checked all of those three times.  I checked EVERYWHERE in the shop, twice.  I thought maybe they were in the bottom of one of the boxes I piled a bunch of scrap wood into the last time I cleaned so I dumped all that out.  I checked in my office twice, because you know, maybe I got the shipment of blades, took one out of one package to bring down to the shop and hid the rest somewhere... because that makes no sense but they clearly aren't in the shop.  Finally I broke down and bought another package of blades from HD 20 minutes away.  Went to go put the blade in and realized I managed to come home with the wrong shank blades.  Made one last desperate search of the workbench, like I am going to magically find them there after already having looked three times.  Yeah, it helps if you pull the drawer out all the way, moron.  Middle bottom drawer in the back, nice neat pile of them clear as day.  Now I'm going to spend the rest of my life having to look in the same place for things at least four times.

Anyone else have any similar, "im such a moron" stories? Please share, it might help make me feel like a little less of a moron

Nahhhh.......you're a moron. Feel it..... :P:D Hey, things like that happen when you take a half ass shortcut instead of dealing with things like you should. BUT.....anyone on here who says they've never done anything like that....something they regretted is lying...."that includes you too mom!!!"

What to do.....don't go OCD on it and try to sand a gulley in your cast iron table just to get a SCRATCH out. Just smooth it with some 1000 grit sandpaper if you have it.  My thinking is that it's like dragging your finger through the dirt....there is a small ditch bank left on either side of the scratch.  Take the sandpaper and smooth the "ditch banks" a little and then just let it serve as a reminder and really....all joking aside... It can be a life lesson if you won't just see it as a scratch.....it will be a reminder every time you use your saw to properly take care of things as you get to them.  (BTW....Tim is trying to listen to his own advice) Dr. Phil out. 

• Like 1

Nahhhh.......you're a moron. Feel it..... :D Hey, things like that happen when you take a half ass shortcut instead of dealing with things like you should. BUT.....anyone on here who says they've never done anything like that....something they regretted is lying...."that includes you too mom!!!"

What to do.....don't go OCD on it and try to sand a gulley in your table just to get a SCRATCH out. Just smooth it with some 1000 grit sandpaper if you have it. My thinking is that it's like dragging your finger through the dirt....there is a small ditch bank left on either side. Take the sandpaper and smooth the "ditch banks" a little and then just let it serve as a reminder and really....all joking aside... let it be a life lesson if you won't just see it as a scratch.....it will be a reminder every time you use your saw to take care of things as you get to them. Dr. Phil out.

I gave it a light sanding after it happened just to remove the burr on either side of the trench.

Definitely learned a lesson and hopefully im smart enough to not let something like that happen again!