Wedding box journal

Brendon_t

I'm pretty sure I'm plagerizing this idea from someone here so thanks for the inspiration.

This coming October, I'm to be a groomsman in the wedding of one of my oldest friends. Instead of a gift, I asked his to be wife if I could build a decorative box to set out during the reception. It will have a bottle of wine in it and attendees are encouraged to write a note to the couple. The box will be locked for a few years and they can open it in the future, drink the hopefully not vinegar wine, and read the notes.

For this project, I decided to bust into the Honduran Mahogany that's been sitting and giving me sad eyes. The box will be build very much the same ad the Gary Rigousky box that he and mark made. Proud finger joints, breadboard top. I will full mortise a small lock once I find one that doesn't have terrible reviews like the current offerings of rockler and woodcraft.

I didn't want to mill the whole body of the two boards because I won't be using much and I love the color they have taken on so I did my pencil layout on the rough boards. I decided that the lid would have to come from the wider 4/4 board because it would take 3 slices of the 8/4 and I couldn't mentally find a way that slip match would actually look good.

After rough cutting out my pieces, I re sawed the two sides and front/back boards from the 8/4. Mentally laying them out, I believe the grain running around will look good.

The lid needs to be 13.5" square so obviously the halls wouldn't fit on my pos 6" jointer. No problem, hand planes to the rescue. A few minutes later with the #5 jack, one side was dead flat, I used the drum sander to slowly bring the opposing side perpendicular.

So at the end of about 3hours in the shop, I have the front, back, and sides cut to length and width and top glued up. There really wasn't a way for me to hide the glue line with the grain so I made the choice to accentuate it. I hope that's a decision I don't regret later.

Here are a few pics from various stages. Everything got a light mineral spirits wipe down prior to final pic.

post-16319-0-64494400-1429501282_thumb.j

post-16319-0-10441200-1429501297_thumb.j

post-16319-0-75966500-1429501307_thumb.j

post-16319-0-88131000-1429501318_thumb.j

Thanks WTN, I just realized that I need to start considering the background of pictures.. Didn't notice while working but now I see that My garage is an F'ing wreck.

When you get comfortable in your working space, it's difficult to see the whole picture... Mine is always more than a little messy, but I know exactly where everything is, except for the pencils, those SOB's grow legs and hide.

That gives me anxiety. ,

with such a small space to work in I have to keep things relatively clean. I usually start off any work by grabbing the leaf blower that is permanently attached to an extension cord and blowing down the floor and any surfaces then I probably blow it out at least every half an hour

About three hours into it and it's definitely taking shape.

I cut the fingers on the band saw using the kerf sized shim I keep permanently taped to the riser block for such an occasion.

Mild clean up with chisels and the joints all come together beautifully.

On to the top, I ran it through the drum sander to flatten it after glue up as well as remove the last 1/16th of an nice of thickness. Cut to its final size, I turned to the breadboard end pieces. These were both cut oversized then re sawed on the band saw. A few strokes with the smoothing plane and they are damn sexy.

That's about it for the night as I've got some Game of thrones to watch but tomorrow, I will get the grooves cut for the bottom, and hopefully bread boards attached.

I'm getting a bit nervous about the color difference but hey, we'll see how it turns out.

post-16319-0-75181900-1429586546_thumb.j

post-16319-0-45826500-1429586557_thumb.j

post-16319-0-71567500-1429586566_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's not color difference, its contrast! Looking great, too.

So I'm pretty color blind but I still know those the wood for the sides looks like a totally different species. It doesn't bother me. In fact I think it looks nice, but if I was needing a uniform look all around, I'd be pretty bummed.

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of fell off on this but here is the progress so far. The glue up is done, mortised in the lock set, and hinges. Made a key hole decorative cover out of ebony. Made a little bottle holder for the inside. The third and last coat of ARS went on today.

post-16319-0-89019300-1430882154_thumb.j

post-16319-0-08836100-1430882187_thumb.j

post-16319-0-22322600-1430882206_thumb.j

post-16319-0-67688800-1430882223_thumb.j

post-16319-0-08053500-1430882238_thumb.j

post-16319-0-90543900-1430882252_thumb.j

Thanks guys. This thing has been a joy to make so far. The mahogany works like nothing I have ever felt before. It is so smooth and radiant after just touching up with a sharp scraper.

This is also one of the first projects I haven't hit the finishing wall on. Every coat of ARS give a new clarity to the wood and depth of its natural color.

Thanks. I am very pleased with it as well. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't really pick up the colors of the top. When viewed from different angles, it has a totally different look.

Once my new veritas router plane gets here on Monday, I'll be final fitting in the hinges and lock then waiting on a wedding.