American flag art

I'm working on making an American flag roughly 2'x4' which will kind of look like the southern pine woodworking heritage flag. I hand carved the stars out of a chunk of oak I had laying around. Now I have to find some wood to make the stripes out of. The red stripes of the flag will be charred black instead of stained or painted. And I'm going to lightly burn the union of the flag to give it a darker appearance. My questions and concerns are the type of wood to use to give a nice appearance when burned and also what burned wood will take a lacquer well. I'm not looking for a glossy lacquer though. Wanting a more dull finish. More or less to protect the wood and keep it clean but not shiny. Any suggestions or recommendations? I've been told basswood would be good for the stripes but I've never used basswood so I personally wouldn't know if that's a good or bad idea. 5363a63c7cdda06cc325a20214080755.jpgb007fc58e2db2d97cf63044119cba562.jpg

-soulless-

For the stripes, I would choose a wood with closed grain, so they would be smoother. I just feel a distinct open grain would look busy inside the stripe pattern. As for burning the surface, there is a nice article in issue #217 (April 2015) of Popular woodworking. They recommend leaving the wood slightly rough, torching it, then burnishing it with wax. Looks really nice, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't able to figure out how to post into certain sections. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to post anything and when I finally did I just went with it haha. But I ended up using some scrap 2x6 lumber I had from a picnic table I built. Cut it into thin strips and borrowed a friends torch to burn it. I just glued and clamped it all together. Waiting for it to dry over the weekend and then it's going home. My only concern is I used pressure treated lumber. Someone mentioned to me that it sometimes tends to shrink. Can anyone please deny that for me? Would make me feel much more confident in my work haha

-soulless-

Well I've been having issues with this app on my phone so I've been late responding on here. Thinking I'm gonna leave it staggered on the end I can always clean cut it on a table saw later if I want. I had already burned it before I saw about the harmful chemicals. Oh well. I'm sure I'll live.

And Richard, the emblem is just the Engineer Regimental Crest. I'm army reserves. Unit is at ft Benning. I'm a heavy construction equipment operator.

-soulless-