Cedar: Northern White vs Western Red

mkrusen

I'm going to be building a version of Marc's rustic outdoor table for my parents new farmhouse. My sawmill/lumberyard carries both northern white and western red cedar, however the northern white is significantly cheaper. Anyone have any experience as to the color differences between the two or see any other reason for not going with the northern white cedar? Thanks for the help!

They're both rot resistant but the red is far more so.  They're also both soft but the white is very soft.  White has more of a brownish heartwood while red is...red.  They'll both age to that silvery gray color if left outdoors.  Ultimately you'd be better off with the red for a longer-lasting and more durable outdoor piece of furniture.

I have to haul this in my truck from Indiana to Pennsylvania so I'm not going any longer than 8'. Should comfortably sit 8. Hopefully that's good enough! Dimensions are 96"x42" for the top and 84"x33" for the base. Legs are 3.5" square. Kind of pushing the limit but I think I can probably get away without the third set of legs. Thoughts?

I built 200 picnic tables with a helper when I was 13 out of untreated Yellow Pine 2x's.  My family was just starting a campground on the lake.  I made a form for the ends on a sheet of 3/4" plywood with stop blocks nailed on.  The only tools we used were a 9" Craftsman radial arm saw, and wooden handled hammers.  They were all 8' long and tops were a little less than 4' wide so they would fit easily between the wheel wells in the back of a pickup. If I'm remembering right, we built about 20 in a days work.  It's how I learned to swing a hammer.

To move them, you tip it up on end, back the truck up to it, and lay it over top down in the truck.  We picked them up in the Fall and stored them in a building until the next Spring.

An 8' picnic table will only seat 6 comfortably.  It's important that the bottom of the legs go out as far as the outside of the seat so it won't tip with people seated on only one side.

If it's an 8' bed, it will carry one longer than 8' no problem with the tailgate down.